Drill bit sharpening

Any suggestions sharpening 1/16 to 1/8 in.small drill bits?

Reply to
ED ROGERS

Jerry Wass

A drill bit sharpener might do the trick.

Reply to
Bob Swinney

Well ... when *I* sharpen them, I use the Dumore drill sharpener, which can handle from 1/4" down to #70 drill bits.

Unfortunately, they are no longer made, so you have to get an old one, fix it up, make whatever parts have gone missing, and then put it to use.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Brian Lawson

With a 1/16" drill a pocket whetstone and a loupe (eyeglas) works quite well.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Reply to
James P Crombie

Lautard's little jig (in Machinist's Bedside Reader) works well up to about

1/8". You do need a magnifier for the small sizes to get the drill lips equal.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Thanks for the help.Will try the whetstone and eye loupe first.In practical terms buying new bits would be easier as they are fairly cheap.This is an exercise to see if I can do it.I was emailed a way to try using my Drill Doctor and a improvised mandrel.

Reply to
ED ROGERS

Hey Ed,

Let us know about the "email" method. My Black Diamond only has collets down to #50 I think, but I've never tried them that small. I'm one of those guys who does '1/4" clearance drill' as a standard.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Thanks for the help.Will try the whetstone and eye loupe first.In

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Buy New bits

Reply to