Drill press center pulley/jackshaft ideas

I happen to have just finished restoring a vintage Rockwell drill press (pics if anyone wants to see it). It's the usual 4-speed type, but that's not enough for me. What I'm looking for are photos or descriptions of center pulleys/jackshafts that fitt around/near the column. Specifically the center type.

I know lots of folks here have either made them or have DPs with aftermarket versions from years gone by. Just looking for some design ideas for when I make mine.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I did this to my drill press. Instead of making the jackshaft pivot it can also be made to slide by making an adapter to fit in the column and move forwrd and back inline with the motor and quill shafts, instead of slightly off to the side. Seems like there is very little strain applied to these jackshafts.

If yur interested its on my projects page on my website.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

The King-Seely sold by Sears back in the '50's had an option, differential pulley for continuous variable speeds, about 275 to 3750, no steps. Motor pulley and spindle pulley didn't have to be changed, you just used one step from them, the diff pulley was on the countershaft. Pretty simple too. Clamped on the column, rather long and cheesy link to the lever on the front. It worked.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Ths south bend type uses a casting that clamps to the round column, with a vertical shaft that holds the c/shaft pulleys.

The walker turner type has a round boss on the head casting itself, that supports a fore/aft moving coarse screw - and the screw has a right angle bracket that supports the pulleys.

One poster here had the great idea to simply mount an additional motor on the back of the first one, and to use the normal, high speed motor as the countershaft. The second motor would drive the first one (off of course) thru a first step of reduction.

Really the all-time best way is to put a small three phase motor in, and drive that with a VFD. Works great.

Jim

jim rozen