Naval Cannon pics

Hello

I posted some pics of a Cannon I made to the Metalworking dropbox. If you are interested, they are called Cannon1 - Cannon5

Cheers Jason

Remove the obvious to reply

Reply to
Jason

Hey cool, much shinier than a real one too! ;-)

BTW where's your brass monkey? What's holding up the ball bearings? :)

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

I managed to get my fingerprints off in time for a few pictures. Hopefully it can stay that way for a bit.

I mounted the top piece of the base in the mill, figured out the mesurements, and spotted the base with a 5/16 ball mill. I then used a little bit of 5 min epoxy, and it worked like a charm.

Cheers, Jay

Remove the obvious to reply

Reply to
Jason

--Nice! I've got one such barrel mounted on a really crappy carriage. Think I'll use this design when I build a new one. --What's the bore on your barrel? Mine's designed to fire golf balls, heh..

Reply to
steamer

That looks like a very nice first project. One question occurs to me. Are the trunions inserted in a cross-bore, or are they machined in place form basic stock? (And did you start from a casting, or from brass rod stock?)

Congratulations, DoN.

P.S. I don't find Cannon1 in the Dropbox, just Cannon2.JPG through Cannon5.JPG, plus Cannon.txt.txt

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It is easy to post the full link rather than forcing people to go search/navigate to find something. Many people on this NG seem to find this distasteful for some reason. I don't get it. Anyway:

Shiny!

Grant

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks Grant! Hello jmdoiron, that is awsome! *Details* please!?! How did you fasten the wheels to the axle? Barrel composition, construction, description? I cant decide if I like cannon2, or cannon4 better for my wallpaper!!!! You rock!

mark(unsuccessfull jealous cann> It is easy to post the full link rather than forcing people to go

Reply to
mark

The full link is a lot quicker for me, as I will use "wget" (a unix web downloader program) to grab the images and look at them later, with a program which lets me zoom into them at will.

But the links won't work when someone finds this article (or others) in a google search some time from now, after the images have been moved to one of the RETIRED_FILES directories -- named by year.

So offering *both* is a good idea in my mind, with the warnings that the links will go stale after some time, and require searching anyway, based on the date in the posted article found in the Google archives.

But in any case, when someone says "I have uploaded images to the dropbox", they should at least give the "

" URL for new users or people with short memories. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

First off, Thanks Grant for posting the links, I didn't know that.

DoN, you asked about the trunnion. After I turned the barrel down, I made a small collett to hold the flat section squarely in the mill, and I reamed a 5/16 hole, and the pin is the same diameter, with a few prick punches in the centre to hold it in securely. Also, the material was 2 in. Naval Brass round stock.

And Mark... Thankyou for the compliments. Much appreciated. The axle began as 1 in. round 6061 aluminium. I turned both ends down to 5/16, and the centre of the wheels reamed to the same. I then put the aluminium on the mill and made them 1/2 in. square. The inside "hub" of the wheel is 5/8, so I them made brass washers to the same diameter, reamed 5/16, with a thickness of 1/8. Putting the wheel on the axle, then the washer left 3/16 of aluminium sticking out, which I then put on the arbor press (with my thinking, the softer 6061 would expand, pressing the wheels on) It worked as planned, and then I buffed the hell out of them. And thats about it.

Cheers all, Jason

Remove the obvious to reply

mark wrote:

Reply to
Jason

Jason scribed in

:

why does it appear to be skew on the carriage? refer cannon5.jpg

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

I noticed the same thing. Probably to account for "P-factor".

Reply to
John Morgan