Drill press vise?

Well, I bought the HF drill press from my friend. It is the $529 model 149, and like new. It is huge, and I figure, will do an awful lot of the work I had anticipated. I will have to get a smaller one for the smaller items.

My first project is to have some 1/2" x 2 1/2" FB fabbed to make some mounts for a towbar on the front of my Toyota PU. I will need to drill 1/2" holes.

Sooooooooo. I need a vise to hold stuff while drilling. The platform has two grooves that look like an X for a vise to slip into. Where's a good place to get a decent vise for this? Should I go to HF, or is there something as good or better at Northern Tools, etc? Anything to look for when buying one of these that makes one better than the other?

Steve, who is looking forward to getting started.

Reply to
SteveB

To drill flat bar, you don't actually have to have a vise. You can just clamp the flat bar to the table using C-clamps or anything you have handy.

I'd wait just a bit to buy a drill press vise. If you're on fire to buy accessories (a very common failing in this materialistic society) you should go buy a new Jacobs chuck. I use a Model 3A most often. Get a 14N if you can afford it. Reason for a new chuck is the one you got with the drill press probably has nearly 1/32" of runout. Try it. Chuck a new drill upside down and turn the drill on slow speed. Touch the drill with the tip of a pencil and see if it "buzzes". If you have a dial indicator, actually measure the runout. I've rarely seen a quality import drill chuck.

You might also put some paste wax on the table and column while they're still pretty. If you want to keep them from rusting as long as possible, keep the dust off of them. Dust promotes rust. A shop rag layed over the table will really help.

Grant Erw> Well, I bought the HF drill press from my friend. It is the $529 model 149,

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Steve, If you decide to drill stuff before you get a vise remember to keep your fingers out of those slots when you are holding a part and drilling it. If the drill catches the part it may spin and in doing so shear off the fingers that are in the slot. More than one person has missing fingers from this. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Didja see that American Chopper where Mikey uses a drill press for the first time. Didn't clamp the work which vibrates the thing so bad the chuck dropped. He thought he broke it. I'll never forget Jr trying to drill a hole in the dome for the O2 tank on the firefighter bike and the bit catching and spinning the work on him. They showed it happen a couple of times, but I'm guessing it occurred far more.

Joel. phx

If you do anything long, make sure it's against the left side of the pole. Then it can't spin and whack ya.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The most universal accessory I purchase for any "new" machine I may obtain, is a king size bed sheet from the local thrift store. Around $3 and come in all manner of interesting designs and prints. Im particularly proud of the Power Rangers sheet covering the Gorton pantograph.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

oooowww..cringe....

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

King size Power Ranger sheets? Complete with "MJ" mongram?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:04:21 GMT, Spehro Pefhany brought forth from the murky depths:

I keyed on that, too. If the sheets are king size, the original owner/Dad must have had a Pink Ranger fantasy going full bore. DAMHIKT

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very important. I've been whacked a few times. Aluminium is brutal for this. Grabby.

At work we have a simple way to prevent this. We have straight handles with one end having a threaded hole. The handle is knurled. Take the appropriate t-nut (for your drill press table) and insert the appropriate stud (weld or pin to prevent stud from coming out). Screw handle on to stud while in the table's t-slot such that if your part grabs, it will hit the handle. This is a REALLY handy tool and it's exceptionally easy to make and use.

You can also use it to clamp your drill press vice. Many drill press vices have slots along their length for clamping. Hopefully the stud will pass through the vice hole. Again, very quick and easy.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

My all time favorite drill press vise is made by heinrich. It has a lever-acting clamp that releases and allows coarse adjust when the lever is open. The nice feature is a square steel bar that sticks out the back of the vise, and clamps under a clamp that is screwed to the back of the table. The angular freedom and the sliding of the bar under the clamp means you can hit any spot on the part in the vise. The clamp does not have to be socked down, but it will hold the vise from moving if something grabs up hard.

Jim (who has a set of zero rake brass drills in his cabinet)

jim rozen