drilling 1" (or so) holes

Known as blacksmith's drills in the Empire :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:21:20 GMT, Gerald Miller vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yes. I seem to have the feel for it on anything over 1/4" or maybe even 3/16 in a pinch. I use a belt sander, not a grinder.

Oh....right. Good, then

Sounds like more than the drilBIT could get hurt doing that. Never tried that trick. I _have_ nearly broken my thumb.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

On 9 Aug 2004 00:43:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ta. I thought that must be the case, because as I said, I was seeing all sorts of sets with the same "name".

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:05:42 +0100, Mark Rand vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But I thought they were _Silver and Deming_ in the US.......

I've just known them as reduced shank.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick
  1. some: adj., Being an unspecified number or quantity.
  2. Hopefully 50-60 years yet.

Old Nick wrote:

Reply to
knob

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:42:35 -0400, knob vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well, if it's just for the occasional, then go for it. I use reduced-shank bits, 200 RPM, and patience.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

It DOES hurt when you get to ground level ten milliseconds after breakthrough! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:08:25 GMT, Gerald Miller vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hmp-hmp! Through the hole?