Drilling clean holes in thin sheet

Well, that's almost entirely a done deal. It's control line (model airplane) precision aerobatics. Last year I was in the beginner class which is for, well, beginners. It features an abbreviated pattern with all the really hard maneuvers taken out.

This year I'm moving myself up to intermediate*. All this winter I've been struggling with trying to get my planes to work right with bigger tanks that can hold enough fuel to make it through a complete pattern, but when it hasn't been windy it's been raining buckets -- so I haven't gotten a whole lot of practice in.

So, "how will you place?" is pretty much predestined to be "at the bottom". "Did your plane(s) survive?" is more of a mystery -- I'll report on that one on Sunday. Or, given bad flying, maybe Saturday.

  • It has been pointed out on numerous occasions that judging for beginner and intermediate is way harder than judging for expert. In expert the rounds are round and the squares are square, and you can pretty much count bobbles and subtract 1/2 a point each. In beginner and intermediate you often have to start by asking yourself "what maneuver is that supposed to be?" and go from there.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Holesaw, comes to mind. The HF hole saws don't work worth a hoot, I find.

Are you drilling the flat end, or into the side?

I've found that using a high speed, and very gentle feed pressure will make a cleaner hole.

.

15mil, with corrugations.

I need to drill a 1/2" diameter hole in it, to solder in a fitting. I know that if I use a regular 1/2" twist drill I'll just rip out big hunks of tin -- so that's a no-go.

This is a last-minute rework to get me to a contest this weekend, and I've spent out the modeling budget this month. So I'd like to be able to do it with tools I have in the shop rather than spending time or money I don't have to order something, or even nip around to Horror Freight.

I have a nice stepped drill that goes up to 1/2 inch, but it's longer than the tank. I may just go ahead and drill through and patch up the far end -- but if there's a better solution, I'm open to suggestions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think we have a winner.

.

Another method I have used: drill a pilot hole and enlarge carefully to size with a dremel grinding bit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, so that turns out to be the winner. Glad you got the job done.

.

Thank you. I happened to have one, and it made a nice clean round hole

-- just like I wanted. My ass is saved -- for the moment.

It's one of those head-smackingly obvious things in hindsight, isn't it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon