Drilling into vise-grips

I've drilled and milled on vice grips for custom holders, no trouble. I've also welded a piece on the top jaw without trouble. Either method you suggest will work.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hi all,

This week I had rather a lucky score. I got a science laboratory power supply, rated to supply 0-25 V DC at up to 15 A. I thought I might use it for electrolytic de-rusting, so I went out in search of parts. I looked at the crocodile clips in the automotive stores and thought that they were going to give a really poor connection. So then I had a brainwave. A 7 inch mole wrench for £2.99 (or "vise-grips" to the Americans here). It is obviously el-cheapo, but it'll do the job. So now I want to make a hole in one of the jaws so that I can attach a ring crimp terminal with a bolt. Ideally it would be a tapped hole, but I think maybe this is asking a bit much. Before I go out and attack the vise-grips, do I stand a chance of drilling though them with a regular HSS twist drill? Or should I drill and tap a small piece of mild steel plate and weld it to one of the jaws?

Just thought someone here might have done this already.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks Karl. I'm inclined to go for the welded-on section as it will allow me to have a tapped hole. I doubt I'll get away with tapping a thread in the vise-grip jaw itself. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Use a grinding wheel to remove any chrome plating and dig into the metal a small amount to remove the casehardened layer before welding. An inexpensive tool has jaws made from carburized (case-hardened) low carbon steel, which is why the teeth round off sooner than more expensive models using a deeper carburizing steel (ie 8620 or 4140). Better casehardening makes a better tool, but high carbon and casehardened steel does not weld as easily. A cheaper tool subjected to targeted abuse is better suited to your purpose.

Jim

Reply to
jim_duprey

1) drill the adjusting screw. 2) grind off the plating and simply solder the wire on. 3) Clamp the ring lug to the part, with the vise grips.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Years ago I read where a mechanic used a nail in a drill press so as to get a small point on the end of a bandsaw blade red hot, to remove the temper...then he could drill there and the rest of the blade maintained original its temper.. ?????

Reply to
charles

I have a pair of small vicegrips that have 3 1/4"x20 posts welded to them. Very handy clamps for use as a camera steady when no tripod is on hand.

Reply to
daniel peterman