DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop

Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks DazFNQ

Reply to
DazFNQ

Look at the ShumaTech DRO350 ,its 3ax and you can build it for under $200. Look on Yahoo groups for info, there is a guy (Shane) in OZ that sells the parts.

Reply to
Ralph Henrichs

I bought one of these for an inspection fixture:

For $29 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It appears to be the same as the $160 Littlemachineshop unit.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I mounted shars.com's scale on my lathe and so far it works great for me. For $30 or thereabouts, I get a lot of value out of it. (This is the 8 inch scale used on the Y axis)

If I can find a horizontal scale long enough for my 36" lathe, where I can mount the display somewhere else, for not too much, I would be happy.

Reply to
Ignoramus24313

I missed the 450mm length (since when is 450mm = 20"?). Shars' 450mm scale is $89.

Ned Simmons

Ned - do you happen to know of any other distributors of the same device?

Hul

Ned Simm> > >Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill? > >

Reply to
dbr

I'm sure Enco, MSC, McMaster and any number of other suppliers carry them. Do you have a problem with Shars? I've purchased several items from them and have been pleased with both their knowledge of their products and, considering the very low prices, the quality.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned - no trouble with them, just avoiding sites that require registering.

Hul

Ned Simm> >Ned - do you happen to know of any other distributors of the same device? > >

Reply to
dbr

I have also bought from Shars. Good product at great prices, fast service, reasonable shipping (at the time). I also like H&H for similar reasons

Reply to
RB

I buy from Shars also. Let's see, $59 for a new 6" Kurt vise clone, is hard to beat. I picked up locally in St Charles, so no shipping charges.

Ignoramus31137

Here's another rave for Shars, I bought three linear scales of the type in question to mount on my Benchmaster mill and love them!

David

Reply to
David R.Birch