Just a little doodad.
sander.txt and the accociated jpgs.
JR
Dweller inb the cellar
Home Page:

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
JR North
Something wrong with the dropbox. Here's the correct sander.txt:
Appalled by the high cost of large flexible sanding blocks, I made this one from a typing wrist support pad and a piece of computer packing foam. The green pad is a very dense foam, and is perfect for contour sanding. I glued the parts together with white glue.The pad surface measures 2-3/4" X 18-1/2". For the retaining clip bases, I used some 22GA steel from an old cookie sheet. The retaining clips are standard heavy duty paper clips. Originally, I attempted to spot weld one of the release levers to the clip base, but the high carbon steel of the lever just burned through with a shower of sparks. With classic out-of-the-box thinking, I passed a section of coat hanger through one of the eyelets and spot welded that to the base. Perfect. The bases are glued to the pad with epoxy. This sanding pad is for final primer finish on my Datsun Roadster project. Questions/comments: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com
Reply to
JR North
Does it work? Looks pretty nifty.
I have to admit that most of my sanding blocks are bits of 1x2 cut to length; I just fold the sand paper up the short sides and hold it with my fingers and thumb to clamp. Works well, the price is right, changing paper is a snap, you can go really long if you need to, etc.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
On Tue, 04 May 2010 22:26:31 -0700, JR North wrote the following:
I looked at the pics first, then had to read the text to figure out WTF you had made.
Had you looked further:
&
were cheap enough, eh?
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Works great. I wasn't sure if the clips would hold, but the pad has considerable traction on the paper, and it doesn't pull out from the clips. Can even go sideways with no slippage. Used with 240 and 320 grit for final finishing. This pad is for large, flat and contoured panels. I also make blocks from whatever-for small work.
Tim Wescott wrote:
Reply to
JR North
Yeah, but... Those are too rigid and small for contour sanding. The deal with flexible blocks is you can get a uniform surface over a flat or curved large area. Think hood or quarter panel on a gloss black car. You can't get the surface uniformity needed for that with a rigid block. JR Dweller in the cellar
Larry Jaques wrote:
Reply to
JR North
But you can get lots of ugly flat spots!
So the next time you get run into by a big 4x4 truck it'll have gloss black paint stuck to the bumper?
JR North wrote:
Reply to
Tim Wescott
I already had a big ugly flat spot on the rear from the last 4X4 to run over it:) I'm not painting the Roadster black, just used that to illustrate my point about flexible pads. The rigid pads will produce flat spots, because they can't conform to a curved surface . JR Dweller in the cellar
Tim Wescott wrote:
Reply to
JR North