dumb question volts/amps - how much is too much?

Google Internet Connection Sharing. You'll find plenty of how-to's.

And I'm NOT going to talk about the right and wrong of stealing the neighbor's wifi.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That is a sharp smelling when those blow. I did it at home building a home made tube radio. Vacated the living room - Selenium is poison.

Mart> Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

This is correct -- assuming no problem in the router, of course. :-)

Yep! You can supply too much *voltage*, but the current is determined by the load (the router in this case). I would not hesitate to hook the router to a supply capable of 12 VCD @ 100 Amps (other than being careful to not short the wires anywhere along the way, as that could get exciting.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Actually -- many of them will actually have a fuse inside -- where you can't get to it to replace it without plastic surgery. This is mostly to make sure that you don't have enough current available to fry the wire insulation and perhaps start a fire.

Router as in something for removing wood rapidly, or router as in a device for shuffling computer data packets around to the right place? I was assuming the latter.

If it is the mechanical device, then you could draw more than tha 1/2 Amp by stalling the output shaft.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 2011-04-28, Martin Eastburn wrote: [ ... ]

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

And here I thought that I was the only one left who knew what a fried selenium rectifier smelled like. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes -- the switching supplies are more "green".

And -- they are also capable of self switching so they will work properly with either 120 VAC input or 240 VAC input, so all you need when you do international travel is a connector adaptor. The simple ones with just a transformer and (maybe) rectifier and filter cap will fry quickly at double the input voltage. And if the output is rated as AC volts, you know that it is nothing but a transformer.

Indeed so.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Or a software program for laying out a circuit board? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

sounds like - OOPS!

Reply to
CaveLamb

Rich Grise on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:41:50

-0700 typed >

Oh no you don't. I'm not adding a third computer to this room! (I have "spare" computers, I could do that. But where would it go?)

Thanks.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

There is a windows setting to let other computers connect to the internet through a computer(internet connection sharing), I did that for years when I had dial up. You may need to use your home network with the laptops wired internet card and the WiFi would be the internet connection. I would try to set it up so the laptops wired IP address is the default gateway for the desktop PC.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Measure the no load voltage. I have seen 17 volts or more on poorly designed units, with no load.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just be glad it wasn't a libtard hiding in there. You would never get rid of the stench!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You never watched the original 'Mission Impossible' TV series?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Page 138 has the current requirements..

A couple early Linksys routers used both +5 & +12 volts from the AC adapter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No -- that was during a period when I lived alone in an apartment with no need for a TV. :-) (I *did* read a lot of science fiction, though. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

In one episode their 'equipment' has a Selenium rectifier start to fail, which would have shut down their operation, so their nerd solders a new one across the failing unit with the power on. Then he leaves the supposedly bad rectifier in the circuit.

I am in the middle of sorting my Sci-Fi collection right now. The $40 I paid for a new barcode scanner was money well spent. So far, I have inventoried over 600 books and put each in a zip lock bag.

The inventory will be posted here when I finish it:

I have found that I have a lot of duplicate books, that I want to trade for books I don't have.

I am going to have to find another way to post & read, if Earthlink doesn't fix their problems with Giganews log in. I had downloaded a bunch of headers and was reading the messages when it crapped out, this time. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Pork that has be left out in the hot sun for a few days. :(

That's not a problem, since most aren't going to come off without scalding them. It's like a removing the feathers from a chicken. ;-)

You don't cook them for meat, you render all that fat into biodiesel. They purest deposit is between their ears, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Got F&SF? I can't buy them this week (or maybe for about a month - are you in a hurry?)

I'd kill to get my hands on a collection of The Good Doctor's essays.

I might even be able to arrange for a pickup, depending on how far from Whittier they are.

And I don't remember which one it was, either Analog or Galaxy or that other SF pulp, where there was a very notable article, "Cap the Volcanoes!", from the 1960's or so. It soundly debunked the global warming hoax.

And another article I'd virtually kill for was something like "Build an Atomic Bomb and Wake Up the Neighborhood."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Have a search here:

It's The Internet Speculative Fiction Database

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge