Re: too much oil!!!

NEVER oil a lock; it will only gum up the works. Even the proper lubricants probably won't help you pick the beast, for that matter.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

cashcroft

easily picking...but

tension to unlock

seems like it should have helped. however, you can always wash out the oil..

Reply to
"Keyman

Perhaps you can clean it out with Brake cleaner and then relubricate with something other than oil. Silicone maybe... Or maybe just a little less oil...

Reply to
Absinthe

perhaps the springs are gone internally above the pin stacks, which is throwing you off...

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

picking...but

I Disagree!!! there's a time and place for everything. Even OIL!... and you say "NEVER"

give me a break!

lol RC

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

I figure that those who know the time and place will take the comment with the appropriate grain of salt. Those who don't are better off assuming never.

Oversimplified? I'll concede that. There's an exception to almost anything; the question is whether it's worth spelling out.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I guess that all depends on how much time you have on your hands... that "always" and "never" always gets me... JUST HAD TO SPELL IT OUT I thought about using the famous "WD-40" word..lol didn't want to go there.. btw I live in a coastal enviroment and oiling key points on a lock/latch will pretty much guarantee I don't have to return any time shortly for something as stupid as no lube! I can add years to a lock when I install it just by knowing where to put the oil. But then again if I was a crook I could overlook that part and just tell the customer they should've bought grade 1... rc just killing time... don't let me get you all worked up over your dry locks.. and no I don't oil a lock before trying to impression it..lol

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Why are you wasting time on "an old rust pad lock"?

To answer your question, if you have too much oil, remove some of the oil. Disassemble the padlock and wipe the oil off with a rag, or flush with a solvent or clean with a detergent.

You might also consider spending less time picking locks and more time honing your language skills.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

i m learning to pick, so i try with everything i find

im unable to disassemble a padlock

i know...but my english dictionary is just behind an unlock door, this is the reason i want to learn picking :-))))))

Reply to
gino

He's posting from Italy. He's not doing badly for someone for whom English is a second language. (Actually I'm thankful he didn't post in Italian, and make me use Babelfish!)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

He appears to be posting from Italy. You should keep in mind that the net is worldwide and consequently English is not the first language of many who post on Usenet. We in the US are somewhat spoiled because English is more a universal language than any other. That's good for me because his English is far superior to my Italian.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Padlocks are one of the more difficult things to start out with. The lock you are trying to pick might well not open with the correct key. If you really have to try a padlock at least make it a clean one in good working order. IMHO the easiest pin tumblers are those with no spring tension against the turning of the plug. e.g deadbolts etc.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

yes, it is true!!!! plug is not right with cylinder, it "dances" in the hole so it is difficult to find right tension to open it

If you really

I went in shop and bought a new padlock. Well, to the beginning opening it was very easy, then ,picking by picking doing me practises (maybe I have damaged ) ,the plug has started moving badly in the cylinder ...so opening it is now very difficult !!!

...and very sorry for my english!

Reply to
gino

Repeated picking, especially raking will wear out a lock.Usually it is the lower pins which suffer though. The lock typically will still pick but the corrrect key may no longer work.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere