Ebay insertion fees - need help

A quick question for listing stuff on ebay:

I recently decided to sell my small horizontal mill on ebay. It's not worth much, but I'd like to get some beer money for it.

I created a new action on ebay, and when it was time to confirm the new auction, I was surprised to find that they wanted to charge me more than twenty bucks!

Investigation revealed that ebay charges a minumum of $20 in the "business" categories. What's up with that?

What does a small-potatos guy like me do when he's listing a relatively low-dollar item? How about businesses listing low-dollar parts that won't even sell for twenty dollars?

Is there a better place to peddle metalworking equipment than ebay?

Thanks for any advice. Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

Only in some business categories .

First, you can try craigslist.

I had the same problem while selling a forklift and a Clausing 8530 vertical mill. eBay wanted $20 in fees.

I finally decided to not shell out $20, but instead listed them in cheap categories like mill parts of whatever. People look by keyword mostly. Both sold and had a lot of viewers.

Ignoramus20152

Rob, I suspect that you simply chose to list on eBay in the wrong category. Their business category primarily focuses on people wanting to sell their businesses, hence the listing price tends to be rather stiff.

On most of their other categories, this listing fee is based on the price that you set as the opening price, or as the reserve price. This is why you see many of their auctions starting at 99-cents with no reserve. This brings the listing fee down to under $1.00, and lets the marketplace define the selling price. Then too, if you have a minimum price in mind for your mill, you can always set a reserve price, but in turn this increases the listing fee.

Hope this helps.

Harry C.

Rob Sk> A quick question for listing stuff on ebay:

Reply to
hhc314

Thanks Iggy, I just did that, and the price was much more palatable.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:39:23 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Rob Skinner quickly quoth:

Unreal!

You could try

. They charge $8/mo for any amount of listings and sales. Got anything else to hock? Do it now!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Welcome to the world of e-bay motto is lets screw em...

Reply to
batw

How did the bill get to be $20??? That is either a high priced item or the add-ons were numerous. Go back and figure out where you went and avoid it. There's no need for highlighting or excess advertisiing your item as I guarantee that it will be found by all those interested in it.

Bob May

Actually, I've done business for years on eBay, both buying and selling. By and large, selling on eBay is far, far cheaper than advertising something for sale in a local newspaper or even the local "Want Ads" type publications (who expect a commission on the sale.).

Given something like 6 years experience with eBay and something like

350 transactions over that period, I have no serious complaints about their fees. In truth, most of the complaints I hear about eBay are from new users who expect to maket their stuff to millions of potential buyers for free. That's simply not the way that the world works, and after a brief while, most of these people realize this and come back to eBay.

Harry C.

batw wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

While I share your sentiment, as regards their regular fees, I feel that steep listing fees in capital equipment categories are excessive (and are not worth paying).

Ignoramus20152

The OP referred to a category that has a minimum fee of $20. Here's another example, quoted from the "eBay Motors Dealer Pricing" page:

"First, each time you list a vehicle for up to 7 days, eBay charges a flat Insertion Fee based on the type of vehicle you're selling:

  • Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats: .00 * Powersports & Motorcycles: .00

Then, after you receive the first bid on that listing [...] eBay charges a flat Transaction Service Fee [...]

  • Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats: .00 * Powersports & Motorcycles: .00
"

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

What I want to know, is when did they change the listing method? I used to be able to include tags, and now am FORCED to buy eBay image hosting. I have my own servers, I don't want to pay a buck for them to host my farking images. Is that something new, or did I just go in the wrong way or something?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think that the latter is the case, I list all my auctions with pictures that I host myself, it works just fine. I just say and it works OK. I do nothing fancy.

Ignoramus18860

The word that popped out at me was the word "dealers". You may be a commercial business but if you're not an eBay shop seller, I'd not expect them to be charging that kind of price. I will note that selling something that is expensive the selling fee will be more than that.

Bob May

Thanks Iggy, I put it up on Craigslist and got five calls in 24 hours. It should be out of the garage by tomorrow afternoon.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

Sounds great! I would not declare victory though, until the cold hard cash is in your pocket... I sold a couple of things on craigslist, I even have a script for posting anything to craigslist. That kiln that I posted about a month ago, sold on craigslist.

Ignoramus18807

Right you are. Dude number one brought his trailer out to the house, but was surprised to see that the 6x24 table was not big enough to hold the superchargers that he had intended to machine. I pulled the plug on dude number two before he came out. He wasn't sure whether it was better to tip the mill over into his pickup bed or to disassemble the mill in my driveway. Perhaps I was being harsh, but I don't allow lunatics to come close enough where they might hurt me. Number three is renting a truck tomorrow, which displays a certain degree of committment. I can deal with that.