electric four wheeler

"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric power. he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Tom Gardner

You can buy it new for $1K. Delivery is ~$620 more.

Which is:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks Tom. That National Electric drag race association site will really hook him.

I foresee many a winter day building a small racer.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Dwayne & Ang

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:10:52 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrolled the following:

ATV or 4WD full-size truck?

I doubt that he could find a Prius at a junkyard, but it's new and high-tech.

Where will he plug in to recharge, at the forestry lookout station's solar cell array? Through solar cells on a modified lumber rack?

I guess he could always just swing a line over the nearest power transmission tower, eh? ;)

I'd have bought a hybrid (2WD) truck last year if it had been available.

============================================================ Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Depends on how much power and weight you need can live with. Batteries are the killer for most electric vehicles. Briggs & Stratton has a DC electric that develops the equivalent around 12 HP. There are some guys who have put them on top of small outboards in place of a gas power head. I'm sure there are plenty of golf cart motors that could be used. When I was a kid I knew a kid down the street that powered a flat track go-cart with a starter motor off a car. He burned them up fairly often, but he could buy 50 of them for the price of a good gas motor. I think he was actually getting them from a wrecking yard for next to nothing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ATV

My place, of course. The juice is free here.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I don't know what Larry meant, but when I read his post imagined that he thought the electric ATV would be used in areas where gas-powered ones aren't welcome.

Although not relevant to Minnesota, current rulings for Yellowstone Park have disallowed snowmobiles and snowcoaches for the 2008-09 winter. See eg

or
. The expired regulations refer to "best available technology snowmobiles", with certified machines (typically 4-stroke) listed at
.

Reply to
James Waldby

Ok, here it is. The elecric drive you have been waiting for.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:35:18 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrolled the following:

Oh, I thought you might want to take it somewhere, y'know, like the BOONDOCKS, WHERE YOU CAN GO 4WDing.