What Tool to strip off Stucco Color-coat easily

Not sure what to use, so I'll see if anyone else has done it...

Need to turn a Once Upon A Time exterior concrete block wall (they added on the current garage about 40 years ago) into a proper interior wall - the previous owners cheated and glued cork over the stucco.

Now I need to strip off the top layer of color coat and the mastic from the cork tiles - about 1/4" max and leave some "tooth", and put a skim layer of California One-Kote interior plaster A little sanding, a little PVA Primer, a little paint... Instant interior wall..

Needle scaler? One of Tom's Ohio Brush impact brushes? Some sort of power scraper?

The 5-HP Compressor and refrigerated air dryer are 10' away, so power is not an issue - but false starts are. Harbor Freight, Home Depot and OSH are two miles away.

Have to dig a slot and bury the light switch electrical steel flex conduits flush into the wall too, but that's not a problem.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I had a similar problem with cleaning back a rough block wall that had a mortar wash and paint on it. A needle scaler did the job well, I did some of it with a pneumatic one, and the builders did the majority with a larger rented electric needle scaler. Cleaned the wall up well prior to rendering and top plaster coat.

Reply to
David Billington

I've not done this, so you know exactly what this advice is worth. Having said that, I've removed an amazing amount of stuff with a large angle grinder and cup wheel wire brush. I'd use my paint booth air supply hood doing this job.

There is a truly amazing number of cup brushes. I just went to McMaster web site. Very nice selection guide. My guesses yielded part number 4782A13. Confirm with Tom if you go this route.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Bruce

I will be facing a similar effort in the near future, so please keep us posted with your experience.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl

Hardly instant, strap over the present mess assuming you can get the strapping level, put up drywall or for faster results, prefinished drywall. Suggest the strapping be nailed to the wall.

Reply to
RJ

Dang. I've used them for many hours on a ship, but would have never thought of them for that application.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That would be prudent if the existing stucco wasn't sticking to the blocks or was radically not level - but this is nicely level and flat. Even the door casing comes up flush, so I don't have to make extensions.

And you aren't supposed to use any sort of nails into concrete blocks, the blocks tend to shatter and can make a structural mess out of the wall - this is a bearing wall... You need to nail into the horizontal mortar joints - and you have to know where they are. That would mean stripping all the stucco to bare block.

The only safe way to blindly attach to concrete block is with a carbide drill and either zinc or plastic expansion anchors, and that is very slow. Been there...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You could cheat again with more modern materials and just glue FRP panels on top of the mess, adding only perhaps 3/16" thickness.

Reply to
Pete C.