Workshop Coat

I've ruined my trousers the other day when I used the grinder. I suppose the sparks melted the polyester in the trousers.
I need a workshop coat that will stand up to sparks generated by my grinder. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I use an Axminster leather apron for any hot work.
hth
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK
On 15/03/2011 10:04, Roland Craven wrote:

Yep. I think a welding apron is probably the way to go.
I see some products when I Google.
Thing is, oftentimes I cannot be bothered to change trousers, and would find just popping on a coat or apron very convenient.

Nothing specific, but neither cotton nor wool fabrics will melt.
Cliff Coggin.
On 15/03/2011 10:08, Cliff Coggin wrote:

cotton warehouse coat style overalls are getting hard to find since Dickies has taken over the world.
The last one I was able to buy, and in a big size, has the makers name "Click" on it.
Can't think for the life of me the name of the company i purchased it from though
regards
Dudley

Dickies? Never heard of it/him/them.
Cliff Coggin.
On 15/03/2011 11:36, Cliff Coggin wrote:

Dickies are the Tesco of workwear

Used to get very good 100% cotton overalls from them. Haven't bought any in a couple of decades though...
Mark Rand RTFM
On 15/03/2011 22:31, Mark Rand wrote:

Hi Mark
Yes Dickies used to be very good, and I suppose realistically they still do a very good range of PPE, but as with most big suppliers they only keep what they can sell the most of and make the best return on - which in the case of overalls, boiler suits and the like seems to be poly cotton. Also, as with the likes of Tescos and other big suppliers, IMHO they put the smaller independants out of business and just cherry picked the best parts of their businesses.
regards
Dudley
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:27:13 +0000, Dudley Simons

They are available, google "warehouse coat 100% cotton".
Russell

Try a welding supplier. Cotton works well alone, and you can make it more fire resistant with the old theatre curtain mix of alum and boric acid.
jsw
On 3/15/2011 7:27 PM, Richard wrote:

Too hot here for overalls ,long pants or dust coats . Got two aprons made from heavy denim , one for woodwork with a chest pocket for tobacco and pencils and a rule ,and one for metal work with just a pocket for a 7" rule . Both have cross over shoulder straps so the weight dosen't hang on the neck. I wear shorts because of the tropical weather here ,but when oxy cutting I wear over socks , made from the legs of old jeans with elastic in one end to hold them up the leg ,they keep sparks and slag from entering the boots and making me do the "hot foot jig".
Denim jeans may be the solution for you, made of cotton and usually pretty tough.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

A 7" ruler, are you allowed those in Australia these days?, also are they like the Spinal Tap amps which go to 11?, only ever seen a 6" rule or multiples thereof myself.
I ask about inch rulers as my neighbour was involved with a project selling weigh bridges to South Africa and the customer rejected the initial offering saying that it was illegal to have equipment marked in the old units, only metric was allowed, they having introduced very strict metrication laws not long before.

7" rulers were being given away with orders by one of the engineering suppliers a couple of years ago. I think it was RDG.
Cliff Coggin.
On 3/16/2011 6:31 PM, Cliff Coggin wrote:

Yes that's where I got the 7" rule ,from RDG given as a gift with a purchase I made some time ago. Nothing much has changed really ,just another measuring system added to the brew. We can still buy imperial rules here , most come with metric and imperial markings. Tape measures can also be had in metric and imperial . Hardware stores still sell imperial bolts and nuts along with the Metric stuff.
Don't know about Spinal Taps , unless you mean the medical procedure involving drainage of fluid from the spine.
Kev.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

[...]
And there I was thinking it had something to do with penis size ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ&feature=related

On 3/17/2011 1:59 AM, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

His is reckoning 11 is one louder than 10 wow !!! Very rivetting information ,must file that for later reference.
--
Kevin (Bluey)

I have a ruler that goes from 1 to 12. It had been used on a sheet metal shear and left there after someone accidentally cut off exactly 1". I was ceremoniously awarded it for using it to screw up the cuts on a big project.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I too have a ruler award presented to me as part of my retirement gift that recognised my tendency towards pragmatism rather than slavish following of company process!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/9fingersphotos/IMG_1484.jpg
Bob
On 3/17/2011 9:56 PM, Bob Minchin wrote:

Stanley have a new tape measure http://www.deaddog.com/?p 193
--
Kevin (Bluey)