ruler stand question

At a recent car boot I bought a gadget I recognised as a ruler stand, used for setting scribing gauges to a known height.

Clearly workshop made by someone.

But I don't understand why it's height adjustable - surely you'd always want the ruler simply based on the reference surface?

Can anyone explain this design to me?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Are you sure it is just a ruler stand? If a scriber were attached to the moving section in the hole you can see it could be used as a marking out gauge. Put it on a surface plate, put the ruler upright as in the picture and adjust the height of the sciber with the screw to the correct height and then use it to mark the height on the workpiece which has been "blued" ans is also on the surface plate. (I use a thick piece of float glass with edges bevelled by the glazier as a cheap but surprisingly accurate surface plate).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Yes - the clamping system is pretty specific; note the fairly low "shelf" on the right, and the limited travel range and height of the tooth that (just...) holds the ruler.

Surface gauge, yes.

Here's a wide range of surface gauges.

Nothing like my item!

BugBear