today's gadget

A pipe-bulging kit.
http://www.roman-road.co.uk/temp/DSC00164.JPG
the tubular bit (left, in 2 parts, as it happens) fits over the pipe,
leaving about 5mm out the tapered end, the mandrel goes in the end of the pipe, then the lot goes in the vice and gets tightened carefully, 'til it bulges as shown at right.
The point of this should be obvious.
an it's an "interesting" exercise grinding the tool to turn the reverse chamfer on the mandrel, doesn't show that clearly in the picture but it's this shape: _____ \ | |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ | | | |_______ | / | ¯¯¯¯¯
✖
On May 21, 1:47 pm, Austin Shackles

Or you could use a pipe flaring kit from machine mart ;) The sell the mandrel bits as spares incidentally
Dave
Add pictures here
✖
On or around Wed, 21 May 2008 06:08:36 -0700 (PDT), dave sanderson

only if it'll do 15mm copper. The one I have only goes up to 8mm. I'm not sure it'd cope with 15mm anyway, the vice has a good bit more pressure. Also the one I have tends to distort the tube ('cos it's a split clamp), whereas my hollow bit is bored the correct size.
✖
On 21 May, 18:13, Austin Shackles

Ive not checked (its buried in the garage) but according to the web it goes to 5/8". It does leave a ribbed pattern on the pipe tho :( The mandrel bits are quite cheap as spares, to save the interesting grinding. (I snapped several of the tiny ones doing an awkward in situ repair...) Didnt mean to offend, just offer a shortcut if you weren't aware of it.
Dave
Add pictures here
✖
    --Here's a link to a company that makes just about every pipe and tube modifying thing you could ever imaging: http://www.cscindustrial.com/06_Rothenberger_Tube_Expanders.html     --I've got one of their "aushalser" whatsits and it works a treat.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're passing
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : through the moronosphere!"