What ''Color'' To Paint A Fly?

This should help, there are more images if you search for them.

bluumule

I have that Fly model with the human head ,chest,& arm.Would a dark grey gloss do it for the flys' body?,theres not much color with these buzzers.

Reply to
teem

How about Alclad II prismatic shades?

flak monkey

I guess ''anything'' would work,color -wise.Is Alcad the name of the manufacturer?.

Reply to
teem

Why has no one suggested 'brass'? ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Have you checked

(and one link:
)? That describes its coloring (along with bunch of other interesting factoids).

OTOH, I've seen flies which had opalescent colored abdomen. They might not have been houseflies - I'm not an expert... But the opalescent colored model would look nice.

I once made a model of the Dung Beetle where I painted it with PPG color shifting paint. I thought it looked pretty good. This type of paint is now available in aerosol cans in car parts stores.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

That's a distinct possiblity!.Theres so many species of flies w/their colors,maybe thats the reason the writers of THE FLY,just used ''an ordinary house fly'',not much color to them.

Reply to
teem

The common housefly is Musca domestica; these are images of Musca domestica:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 12/15/2007 11:33 PM teem said the following:

Someone told me that paint costs about $200 a quart.

Reply to
willshak

This paint you speak of,is it like the type on cars that have that ''oily'' look,when looked at from different angles?,sort of like 3 colors in 1?.

Reply to
teem

Some real flies can have a iridescent effect to them; their abdomens and thoraxes can look metallic blue, green, or gold (though not on the common housefly). You could achieve that effect by first painting the area with a very shiny silver, then overcoating it with a transparent green, blue or yellow. Tamiya makes a transparent green blue and yellow in their acrylic range. Here's some photos showing the iridescence:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Theres 1 detail on this fly model I have to remember:it's belly is facing up,the support shaft (a clear round one) comes out of the top of the thorax.So, maybe,the translucent colors may not apply.

Reply to
teem