Enclosed digital height guage?

As I was pondering world peace, entropy, and how to mount a DRO on the Sieg X3 quill, I transcended to another plane...
The Super X3 has a flat milled on the front of the quill. The bottom of the scale is attached to it. The scale is fixed in front of the head and does not move.
My inchoate idea is to make a collar for the quill (2.67" dia), drill and tap it for mounting the bottom of the scale. Take a length of aluminum rectangular tubing and mill off one side of the aluminum tubing of the correct size for the DRO slider, make a mounting base for the slider for inside the tube.
Now the scale moves up and down inside the tube, protected from all but the most horrendous impacts and swarf. The top end of the tube can be closed off with Wisconsin chrome, er, duct tape. Use a parallel to help align the tube. Use some bar clamps (?) to hold the parallel?
Now put superglue on the tube mounted scale, use the parallel to properly align it, and press the tube to the face of the head.
Before someone brightly says the Anilam and Accu-rite and other $$$ scales are already protected, yes they are. But the frugal scales I am using are akin to those of a digital caliper.
Louis Ohland wrote:

Not quite. On Yadro, you are not using the LCD on the scale, because you are using the SPC port to pass the data to the DRO. The scale ends are fixed and the electronics move back and forth on the beam.
My mount allows you to see the LCD. The measuring electronics on my mount do not move, but the scale goes up and down.