Endmill regrinding

What kind of prices did the tool and cutter grinders bring at auction?

Was the tooling with the machines or sold separately?

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

They did not sell and were attractively priced.

I got a bunch of diamond grinding wheels.

Some was, some was not, I got a couple dozen diamond wheels.

Ignoramus2853

What were they asking for them?

Here on the east coast I'm seeing them sporadically on Craigslist in a wide range of prices. The full sized ones are almost always KO Lee rather than Cincinnattis. An occasional other brand. Among recent prices, the low end was $650, another at $950 and a grinding shop that was closing asking $1500 for their KO Lee's. One from Quakertown PA started at $2000 and about 6 months later dropped it to $1500 - and you had to remove it from the guys cellar. Most of the ones I'm seeing come only with a single specific piece of tooling, and sometimes a set of centers.

Prior to this past year or so, I don't recall seeing any tool and cutter grinders on the nearby Craigs lists.

I have two of the KO Lees and am now looking for selected pieces of tooling - in particular, the universal grinding fixture, the motorized grinding fixture for cylindrical grinding, and the radius fixture for turning ball nose end mills.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I've watched ebay sporadically, but it seems that only dealers are populating the sales with ridiculous prices that are 2x to 4x higher than a home shop machinist would pay. In looking at completed sales, very little is selling.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Too expensive for me, but...

This was about my limit:
bought it to grind the gear tooth cutter to fix the tractor. Adapting other tooling like a 5C spin index to it shouldn't be difficult.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I call them "dreamers".

Ignoramus16406

That stuff sits on the shelf until thier grand kids sell it for scrap.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

There's a better price for these on ebay.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Within reason I try to support the local dealers where I can examine the goods and return anything defective. That guy found some half- price toolholders that fit my Swiss Multifix and more importantly took the risk that they wouldn't fit well enough. They do, perfectly.

Lindsay now has the rebuilding book for these larger South Bend lathes. I didn't see it on their web site, but it's # 1649 in the paper catalog.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins