Epoxy coatings

I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3. The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Go to a good automotive paint store and tell them what you are spraying and they will get you the correct filter mask. Some are a one time use. Most epoxy or additive paints can be really nasty.

Reply to
Calif Bill

I don't know about those particular paints. I've used a fair amount of Rustoleum epoxy with good results, but the one I have most experience with has been discontinued due to VOC regs. Grainger carries the Rustoleum line and has a lot more information in their catalog and a wider selection than McMaster. I believe they carried an epoxy formualated specifically for water tanks.

The reducer I was using for spraying was specific to the paint and pricey. Xylene is cheaper and worked just as well for cleanup, but this may not be applicable for the new reduced VOC paints.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I can't get the McMaster site to work so I can't check out the cited materials. Whether you must thin (and how much) depends on your spray equipment. Commonly-used thinners (reducers) are lacquer thinner, toluol and xylol.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'd second the motion on Rustoleum. I have had very good luck with it for years. If I wanted something more for a wet table, I would check in to silicone based roof coatings.

Reply to
Tim

Just remember what happened to Ole!

Ole was painting the church and doin' OK, but noticed that he was getting low on paint when he still had the whole steeple to do. He thought maybe if he thinned the paint it'd go further so he coudl finish the job without having to buy more paint.

He was almost finished with the steeple when the sky got very dark, thunder boomed and lightning flashed and a loud deep voice rumbled:

Ole! Repaint and thin no more!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Have a look at Zinga, I have used many different coatings and nothing compares to Zinga for durability, rust prevention, ease of use...

is available in the USA as well.

Reply to
mark

Back in wideband land. This stuff is made by Dynamis, Inc. Thin with lacquer thinner. Clean up with acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK or zylene. Do not allow material to set up in spray equipment.

Pot life after mixing is about 2 hours. It's a good idea to wait 30 minutes after mixing and stir again before shooting.

I would not use an expensive spray gun with this stuff. It isn't necessary. The $19.95 job from HF will work fine.

Reply to
Don Foreman