Erector set tool idea

It came to mind some time ago the idea of using 2" square tubing like what's used on trailer hitches to make reconfigurable tools for the things I don't have room to leave in place in my not so big garage. For example, I could make a H or C press, small hoist, temporary work table, or other stuff by having the two inch tubing in "standard" lengths with holes evenly distributed along the length, and having the 2 1/2" stuff as connectors, angle fittings, and so forth to make the necessary connections. I was thinking of using the standard hitch pin in appropriate sized holes to hold things together. Then I got to thinking about what kind of load a standard hitch pin would be made to hole, and what kind of loads I could expect to be working with safely. What kind of engagement would be necessary to keep movement to a minimum in high stress environments of say, a C press.

I know some folks use their trailer hitches for other than intended purposes, and someone told me that he uses all his tools mounted on this kind of tubing so that he can take them off of his workbench when they're in his way.

Am I thinking safely here? Anything I need to be concerned about?

Reply to
carl mciver

you are right on track with a great idea. A client of mine developed a series of fabrication tools using his pickup as the base and the trailer hitch slider as the coupling to a bunch of tools he developed, from bending to shearing, in effect a portable fab shop.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

That sounds very interesting. Is there more you can tell me about that project? I'm open to all ideas.

| you are right on track with a great idea. A client of mine developed a | series of fabrication tools using his pickup as the base and the trailer | hitch slider as the coupling to a bunch of tools he developed, from bending | to shearing, in effect a portable fab shop. | | Wayne | |

Reply to
carl mciver

Reply to
RoyJ