Excello spindle belt

I just broke the belt drving the spindle on my Excello 602...
The top of the machine is almost exactly like a 2J bridgy. I do
remember having a totaly awful time with this belt when I rebuilt the
head several years ago.
Anyone have tips or a procedure for spindle belt replacement?
Reply to
Karl Townsend

Has anyone tried a Linkbelt in this application for a faster fix?

F. George McDuffee
If you're talking about trouble wrestling with the belt while the pulley spring is fighting you, look for a couple holes in the spring retainer at the end of the motor shaft. If it's similar to a Bridgeport or my Supermax, the holes line up with tapped holes in the pulley flange. Install cap screws in the holes to compress the spring and keep the pulley flanges spread.
Start the spindle, turn the speed all the way down, turn off the motor, install the screws. Turn the speed control to max with the motor stopped (allows the spindle pulley flanges to spread) and the belt will be slack.
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Thanks, I'll look for this.
On the good side, I had a spare belt on the shelf. I had boought an excello for spare parts years ago.
Did Gunner's block method last time, didn't work well at all for me.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
And thank goodness! Because about the time the belt wears out, the vari- sheave bushings are probably going, too!
Ever change an R2E4 motor, belt, and both sheaves under an 8' ceiling? It's a stunt, to be sure! Before we finally figured it out, we were actually considering craning the machine over sideways to get at all the stuff. (Might have made it easier, anyway... wouldn't have had to work from a ladder, then.)
Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Go here to see pics of the job.