Excited

I got a bit excited this morning...

I was torching an old PTO knuckle off a gearbox I'm salvaging to use on my new strawberry plant digger. The aceteline line laid in a pile of slag and burned a hole in the line. Made a three foot flaming wild snake.

Wouldn't have been half as scary but I was working inside cause its so f#$%ing cold outside.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I do not blame you for being excited. I trust you were not hurt badly and the building did not burn. Take care , you have used all your luck for February.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Not fun. Acetylene always makes me a bit nervous given its explosive potential. I like the plasma cutter when viable to use since it's seemingly a bit safer. Of course I've managed to burn a hole in my knee kneeling on a hot plasma cut dingleberry. That healed really fast though...

Reply to
Pete C.

Probably why they always said, "Just open the acetylene a half a turn.... makes it quicker to turn off" :-)

Reply to
John B.

I can just see the layer of soot that it put on everything

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

'Bout time, ya old coot.

OH BOY! Did anyone get a video of you doing the dance?

I can imagine. Well, we're all glad you're safe afterwards.

About that 5th wheel, are you going to make it a drop-bed? That's the only type I'd consider if I were to build one myself. It makes loading machinery, which you do often, quite a bit easier. And the look on other people's faces (when you change your flat tire with the flip of a switch) is priceless.

(not a gooseneck, but they're doable.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Karl Townsend on Mon, 17 Feb 2014

14:12:13 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

One way to warm up the place. Not a good way, but "a way".

You can probably skip the "stress test" at your next physical too.

pyotr filipivich

I bet it left one hell of a carbon footprint.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Had my 34th anaversary the day before, no excitement there :(

Already have the big one, the third gooseneck I've owned. After driving these all over the country, I can't tolerate tag trailers.

This one will be custom just for the boat. I found an outfit that makes them for cigarette boats in SE FL. Price is fair enough that I'll likely *gulp* just buy it. OTOH, they do it by modifing an AL tag trailer with a steel gooseneck. So, if the boat I buy comes with a decent tag trailer, I can do this myself.

Anyway, my next stop is to look at their work. I'll take along a camera and a caliper.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Oops, I had already forgotten that little tidbit of info.

Gonna measure their mettle, are ya? G'luck!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep, Karl can law-off on his Powerball ticket buy this week!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"azotic" on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:59:25 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That too...

pyotr filipivich

Not necessarily - if he had the regulator and hose up to full 15 PSI it might make enough turbulence to mix well with air before it all burns. Then it won't soot much.

But I'll betcha he has a bit better hose discipline when this is all over. I have to buy an open-top barrel and make or buy a bar-top grate (probably make, so I can drop in new bars as they get mangled) so I can make a Cutting Table. A few inches of wet sand in the bottom to put out the dingleberries, and they can't bounce anywhere - like my shoe tongue.

If I put a side bung a few inches from the bottom and an exhaust fan, I can make it a fume exhauster too.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

I'd have bought a ticket for that show, Karl!

Some folks complain about nothing exciting ever happening in their lives.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Boat? In FL? YAY!

Reply to
Don Foreman

"Don Foreman" <

Hi Don! Nice to see you posting again, it's been a while. How did you solve your problem with tig welding with a pacemaker? Have any luck with that? One may be in my future and I'd like your input, and opinion. phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas