Most lucrative business for a machine shop

I recently befriended two guys that started up a machine shop and they also do stampings on a couple of old presses. Nice guys, and they have done stuff for me that I was too busy or machines tied up. Their work was OK and the price was right.

They are pretty hungry and are looking for work to pay the bills. What kink of jobs would be the easiest for them to find and what kind of jobs would be the most lucrative? I know, every machinist in the world wants the answer to those questions.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I suspect that the answer depends on them, their equipment, and the nature of the economy around them.

If they've got a couple of old manual machines, then probably just repairs and prototyping. If they've got NC machines and the know-how to program them, then some sort of short-run manufacturing.

Beyond that -- I dunno. I think every new business needs to go through a stage where they're starving and learning.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

No one will ever tell you how to make a lot of money with little capital. People do it, but they do not share the good ideas.

Ignoramus8717

I just want to see them stay in business. They started as a hobby, not to get rich, i suspect they already are but they won't offer their work unless in supports itself. But, I'm just guessing. Most people will gladly share ideas unless it directly competes with them, at least that's my experience.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Very nice machines! But, all manual, they don't want to do long-run production. They prefer model making and very short runs. They also design and build dies, fixtures and assemblies.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would get a bunch of business cards and spend some time passing them out. Including to places with their own machine shop. I got a job making part s for a fishing rod company. A machine shop did not want to do the work as it involved a lot of hand holding. So they referred the owner to me.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Most people that manage to make a lot of money with little capital are either very capable in some valuable way, very energetic, willing to do work that others don't find enjoyable, or some combination thereof.

If it's easy and lucrative, it's been done so much that it's not lucrative any more.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I think "lucrative" here means it pays the overhead with the least amount of time and effort, not to get rich. That frees up machine and people time to do more fascinating things. These guys seem to enjoy the work that involves being clever.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, tell them to find out what people want, then make it for them. Honestly, _that_ is the key. It's also harder than hell to do.

Then once they're up and running with a good cash flow, they can find something they love to do--and can make money on--and shift toward doing more of that.

You found it in scrap, right, Ig?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I make money from, first, websites, second, buying and selling and scrap, and third, machinery moving and some welding.

I do not know how I could make money with a stamping press.

Ignoramus8717

Algebra.com, or more?

Stamp something someone (or lots of someones) need(s) a whole lot.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

subway tokens? :-)

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Over here we have several small "job shops". One does mainly stainless fabrications for yachts - we got three large marinas within a 20 Km distance. Another makes a profession out of rebuilding outboard motors, the kind that require welding back together again, and a third that does more general work - you want your excavator bucket rebushed, bring it by.

But all the shops aren't just machine shops, they all have welding equipment, Presses, big hammers, etc. so maybe a better term might be "I'll fix it shop" :-)

Any demand for that kind of work in your locale?

Reply to
John B.

AK receivers .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My niche up here in Arkansas is just that type of work , on a smaller scale . No big press yet , but most of the rest , and I get small jobs of all kinds - from teensy TIG welds to build up a shotgun ejector to boring

3"+ holes in 1.75" plate for a tractor-mounted tree processor .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

New company: Iggy's AKs!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What you will likely find out is that these big jobs do not pay enough to even cover the cost of materials and compliance.

Ignoramus7232

Lots of companies need stamped parts but usually make them themselves or have a source and have already paid for the dies.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is a lot of marine activity in Cleveland. A big pleasure boat area.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They need to let people know they exist.

Do they have a simple get effective website showcasing what they can do, and how they're willing to do it?

If not, they might as well close down now.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader