Expansion of Aluminium

Hi all Does anyone know how much expansion I will get in an aluminium bearing housing if I have the housing in boiling water (100 deg C) and the bearing in the freezer at a little under 0 deg C. The bearing outside diameter is 2.250" Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mastic

Jeff Wisnia wrote: I make it as pretty close to .006" ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I come up with close to the same answer, but I want to add one more comment. The coefficient for aluminum is twice that of steel, and the temp change is four times as great, so the aluminum accounts for almost all the the clearance. So, I would not bother with the ice. It hardly makes any difference.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It worked a treat. The press fit bearing just fell into the housing with the 100 deg C temperature difference.

Reply to
mastic

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
mastic

I understand what you are saying but I had the job done before your post turned up. However it was no bother to put the bearing in the freezer the day before I did the job. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
mastic

Or at least just one ;)

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

I have aluminium hubs on my race car, and the axle spindle is obviously steel. The thought I have is that under heat (mostly from the brake discs which are bolted to the rotating hub) the hub will tend to expand, moving the taper bearing races farther apart. I want the bearing pre-load to be correct under operating conditions, not cold in the shop, so how should I adjust the bearings to compensate for the expansion under heat? the bearing races are about 2" apart. The whole setup basically Triumph Spitfire but with the aluminium hubs, as used on damn near every British race car made in the 1960's...

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian