OT-Ultrasonic Mosquito Repellers - Any good?

Anyone had first hand experience with ultrasonic mosquito repellers?

I noticed that Harbor Freight (metal content) is offering Coleman branded "table top" units at $4.99. (I've also seen some "personal" ultrasonic repellers advertised which you hang around your neck.)

It's hard to believe that anything that cheap will do much to keep the critters from bothering you unless you're fast enough squash them with it.

I'm also curious about why HF's ad says these devices are not for sale in four states, New Mexico, Colorado, Indiana and Hawaii. Anyone know why? Are mosquitos protected creatures in those states? I know bats are federally protected, and maybe those ultrasonic sounds screw up their echo location ability and they bat their heads into trees?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

They've been pretty generally discredited as totally worthless. Every test I've read has confirmed that they are a waste of money.

The Attorney General has probably filed a fraud suit against the companies selling them. A state law passed as a result.

The type of mosquito trap that uses propane to create carbon dioxide does work, but it's not for personal protection.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

They don't work worth a shit.

Reply to
mrbonaparte

Legislative consumer protection, "This product contains technology known to the state of Colorado to be useless."

Reply to
Bob Powell

Yep. They caught me with my stupid look on and I bought a couple of them. Brand new we took them out of the box at Oshkosh when the bloody little vampires came out. I didn't get a picture of it but several of my friends observed a mosquito walking along the device shortly after we turned it on with fresh batteries. The best that I've found was an acetylene torch in the cutter config passed around the air surrounding the person. Expensive and causes friends to distance themselves a bit. Maybe out of jealousy?? But the little buggers are taken right out of the air.

Reply to
Stu Fields

Reply to
JR North

I have the propane kind - It all depends were you sit.

We ate outside tonight under the stars - Sister in law from TX was here! She had to see the Redwood in dusk and moon light... :-)

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

These were sold several years ago as "cow magnets". They were mighty popular.

Abrasha

Abrasha

My solution: Eat about four medium cloves of garlic. This keeps all aquaintenances at goodly range, presenting a concentrated group of blood donors at a somewhat remote location.YMMV Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

There are indeed "cow magnets". Cows may pick up and swallow pieces of wire e.g. this can be a serious problem for the cow (and the owner).

These magnets which are rather large and coated with teflon are force fed to the beast with the hope that the magnet will appear in the 'cow pie" along with the wire or other debris.

If the magnet comes through clean (no wire) then surgery may be necessary.

These are real.

Magnets also have been sold to attach to water pipes and become water softeners. PT Barnum was an optimist.

Reply to
Don Wilkins