Extra-wide vice (vise) using linear motion components

Here's a quick drawing, not to scale, doesn't include all detail. Basically a couple of side guides with a milled slot to hold a sliding plate, for stability left/right and up/down.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The linked screw drive I made for my sawmill might be easier to make. The two leadscrews that raise the bandsaw head hang from flanged ball bearings in loose-fitting holes. They are normally connected by bicycle sprockets and chain. To disconnect them and reset the blade parallel to the log supports (which shift) I lift one side so the bearing comes out of the hole and the lead screw can move closer to the other one, then pop the chain off the sprocket.

If you have a metal lathe a similar flange mount is easy to make for a thrust bearing, as I did to adapt an extra long collet closer tube to my lathe.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Am Dienstag, 9. Februar 2016 14:40:05 UTC+1 schrieb amdx:

That's more or less what I want to build, except I don't have access to a milling machine at the moment. I have access to a metalworking lathe, power hacksaw, bench drill and magnetic drill.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Am Dienstag, 9. Februar 2016 13:26:33 UTC+1 schrieb Jim Wilkins:

Roughly speaking, I think any vice made from cast iron would be described a s a "Schraubstock". A vice with more wooden components seems to be known as a "Zange". Languages are confusing, though. A "Zange" more commonly refers to a pair of pliers, but I suppose they do have a conceptually similar fun ction.

ive answer.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Am Dienstag, 9. Februar 2016 04:54:13 UTC+1 schrieb Larry Jaques:

No. I don't really have the time (or the thread-cutting gear). I've got my eye on a threaded spindle from Benchcrafted.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Am Dienstag, 9. Februar 2016 00:25:48 UTC+1 schrieb Christopher Tidy:

ainst vise left/right twist,

the plate, closer to the object being gripped), but I'll do a rough calcul ation to see what angle the front jaw will move through before I order the parts to build it.

Having done a quick calculation, I think the stiffness will be a bit questi onable. So it's rethink time.

I might get some parts laser cut and have a pair of 270 degree gussets arou nd the external corner at the bottom of the vice jaw (is "gusset" right her e - I'm sure there's a better word?). But that depends on my being able to weld the parts together without significant distortion. That might be hard.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I might get some parts laser cut and have a pair of 270 degree gussets around the external corner at the bottom of the vice jaw (is "gusset" right here - I'm sure there's a better word?). But that depends on my being able to weld the parts together without significant distortion. That might be hard.

It IS hard. The company where I apprenticed as a machine builder welded all their frames, then we assemblers custom fit the panels to the resulting size. The welder was far better than I'll ever be but he couldn't completely anticipate and control shrinkage.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Roughly speaking, I think any vice made from cast iron would be described as a "Schraubstock". A vice with more wooden components seems to be known as a "Zange". Languages are confusing, though. A "Zange" more commonly refers to a pair of pliers, but I suppose they do have a conceptually similar function.

definitive answer.

===========

Thanks. The German class I took in college was meant to learn to read scientific literature rather than converse in it, much like learning Latin. Then the Army sent me to Schwabenland where they speak almost a different language.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

He does not - too much OT political stuff for him on RCM.

Goes by the handle "muellernick", and there are multiple videos on YouTube, and lists his location as the "Outback" of Munich, Germany. The last video seems to have been in 2014.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I like LVT because they tend to have tried-and-true vendors with good products. Wow, Benchcrafted's tail vise costs $295-369? Ouch! For that price, they ought to be good, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I do what I can to chase it away.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

against vise left/right twist,

tionable. So it's rethink time.

ound the external corner at the bottom of the vice jaw (is "gusset" right h ere - I'm sure there's a better word?). But that depends on my being able t o weld the parts together without significant distortion. That might be har d.

Distortion is a problem, all right; if you can get laser-cut gussets, perha ps you can get the assembly oven-brazed? Brazing should be strong enough for plate-to

-gusset, and gusset-to-jaw could be just screwed in place, or tack-welded.

Reply to
whit3rd