Finished Long Parts Tumbler

Just wanted to thank everybody who helped me with the motor info and everything. It's pretty much done:

Just waiting for the motor to show up.

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

Looks nice. What are you planning to tumble in it?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I'm mainly doing 1/4" aluminum round parts, but also some 1" tube and a few other things. All aluminum. I do thousands of them, so this is a real time saver.

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

Looks good - Are the black ends caps plumbing items.

Tim

Reply to
TMN

Yes, it's 4" ABS and caps. I would have preferred 6", but I didn't feel like ordering it. I might have to put some texture on the sides to minimize slippage. I'm also going to experiment with materials on the inside walls. You need something that allows the media to stick a little to the sides so you get a good sloshing effect. I'll probably try some of that shower basin liner sheet stuff first.

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

I tumble parts from time to time, mostly stuff that was water jetted plates with a edge on them that has to be removed. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of wood strips screwed from the outside into wood strips on the inside of the bucket. I put the whole thing in a lathe with the tail stock holding the lid on the bucket.

John

Reply to
john

That's a good idea... I've thought about using the wings inside and might try that.

Reply to
dpdphoto

How about an rubber band or section of inner tube (wheelbarrow tire?) around each end cap?

I'm also going to experiment with materials on

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yeah, that could work... I was thinking even hockey tape.

Reply to
dpdphoto

Roll on truck bed liner. Hurculiner and some Duplicolor product are readily available.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just snap (say) six Viton O-rings around the pipe, would be my opinion:

McMaster.com 5267T299 are $4.36 each in a two-pack, ferinstance.

Or you could super-glue O-ring stock to make a custom diameter.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:02:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com scribed:

Looks nice.

Mebbe try some of that sticky back sheet you get for not slipping on stair treads for both the in and out. Seems pretty inexpensive, and comes in easily cut lengths. I dinna know how the holding power is of the sticky back is under heat though.

Been on my steps now through 4 New England winters if that is any testament. How it holds up an a rotary deburr is another question.

Best,

Phred

Reply to
Phred

Viton is great for high temp, use Buna-N it's cheaper. Polyureathane is the ideal choice for drive belt useage.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Speaking of which, I think I screwed up on my pulleys. The ratios are right, but I'm having a hard time finding a belt. Both pulleys are 3L, but the motor one is 1" outer diameter. Which is quite small for bore size. I didn't realize how small until I saw it. I just assumed that if it was a 3L pulley, that a 3L belt would work. But I'm not sure it will bend enough around something that small. Can I just use a flat belt or something?

Funny, it's always the projects you thought would be easy that end up tricky.

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

How about first tumble something that'll scuff up the inside of the pipe? Maybe a bunch of shattered glass and chain?

Reply to
B.B.

O ring stock grips the pulleys well - I use it in a fishing rod turning machine. Just cut to length and super glue together.

Tim

Reply to
TMN

There are available V belts that are notched on the inside so that they are similar in appearance to a timing belt. These will bend around a smaller diameter easier. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Not glass - chards. Use chunks of steel that have a bur. Cut offs from the saw or swarf from the lathe or mill. Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the help guys... Here's the final final...

As it turns out, it doesn't need to have any grip material at all on the edges. I roughed it up with sanding and that was good enough. A normal belt was also good enough.

Only thing now is to sort out the inside. It seems to work without any liner, but it's very noisy. I tried using that anti slip shelving stuff taped in a pipe shape, but without gluing it, I think it was just slipping around. Whatever material is used, it will have to be glued in well. It's obviously a very hostile environment to make any glue stay. Ideally what would be great is to have a hatch that opens along the whole length. It's kind of a pain having to dump the stuff out in a bucket, then put the media back in each time.

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

Hey Dave,

Looks super. Makes me wish In had something to tumble!

Take care.

Brian Laws>Thanks for the help guys... Here's the final final...

Reply to
Brian Lawson