Finished my TNMP321 carbide insert toolholders

I thought some folks may be interested in seeing my interpretation of Ted Edwards toolholders for TNMP321 carbide inserts.

Here are the pictures:

The Kurt is on the Bridgeport holding an "elevator" block I had made for the Sherline mill. It has a Sherline table section atop it; it was for machining very thin stock (PC boards). (You can barely see the slot near the right side of the base of the "elevator" block that is one of two used for clamping down to the Sherline mill.) That supports the Sherline rotary table which supports the Sherline vice.

On the front surface of my "elevator" block, I added two buttons. The left one is fixed, the right one is like a toolmakers button. On the surface plate, I adjusted this one to make the buttons dead parallel with the Sherline table. The distance between the buttons is 5.00 inches. These are kinda "sine buttons". I got the idea from Guy Lautard, in TMBR. Anyway, a couple of gage blocks under the left button makes the angle five degrees. Once clamped in the Kurt, it stays that way.

You need to remember to do all your machining from the "uphill" side, to get your five-degree clearance angles on all sides.

Worked like a champ. I will probably make some other sets for other types of inserts.

The steel used is 1/2-inch square 12L14.

The blackening solution is the Black Oxide Kit from Caswell

Hope this helps someone....

-Spencer

Reply to
Spencer

Ted Edwards' original article is here:

Spencer

Nicely done! Enjoy!

Next time you buy inserts, I would suggest you get uncoated ones. They're noticeably sharper and this really counts on light machines.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

WILCO!!