Fixing an oversized hole?

[ ... ]

I see a fourth option:

4) Make a new post (the cylindrical part, which might be easier). That is only *one* part to make, instead of a half dozen or so. Make it a little oversized, and bore *all* of the holders (the ones which came out right and the ones which did not) to fit that one. I would suggest boring one of the bad holders first, to see how much is needed to make it clean up.

Out of curiosity -- what kind of endmill was used for the failed attempt, and did you have a hole drilled through the center of the workpiece before you hit it with the endmill? Most endmills that I know of that size are not center cutting -- at least ones which will fit *my* machines. Those which I have only have the end teeth going about half-way to the center, and then there is a recessed area with a female center for additional support while sharpening the endmill. Thus, for these, a hole about half the size of the endmill OD would be needed before you tried the endmill itself.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I though of this too, but then I'd have to redo all the original holders as well, and I don't want to do that (and they are probably already hardened). And I don't want two post sizes; the time to change a post would be more than the time to change a tool in the holder. But I will reconsider this decision as it can't hurt if I'm tossing 'em anyway.

I'd drilled up to 1/2", then used a 1" 6 flute endmill and had a good hole there. It was just the final 1 1/8" cutter that was bad. It was a different type with three flutes. It was the only cutter of that size in the shop and the teacher said it should work fine. I realized later that I'd have been better off to have left it at the 1" and bored the last eighth at home on the lathe, but I hadn't tried one on the lathe yet, and of course hindsight is clarity.

Reply to
Bruno