Flare brake lines?

wrote:

I bought some project boxes at RatSnack last month, and the guy was looking urpy. He said he wasn't sure how long they'd be running. Did it fall? I hadn't heard.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's the story : money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/news/companies/radioshack-store-closings/ -
--
Snag

Feh , the link didn't work , do a web search on RS closings for details .
--
Snag

I had to cut and paste it, but it worked.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Amazing. They're closing the 3 stores in Medford (the largest bigger city in southern Oregon, 27 miles from us) but leaving the one here in Grants Pass (pop. 32k) open. Very odd.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
20:40:56 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I suspect that RS found that there are more sources of supply in Medford than in GP. Ergo, it makes sense to close those stores and keep the one in GP open. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 23:28:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Ah, there are, indeed. That's very astute thinking, Pete. Thanks for the insight.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
07:11:50 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    You want to make money in a gold rush? Sell shovels to those who are going after the gold. Even those who go bust have to buy a shovel. (and beans, and ...) -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:00:10 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Yeah, the outfitters made more than the miners, the hookers, or anyone else!
-- Sir Winston Churchill
On 3/15/2015 11:00 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

the word I hear from the guys at the local store is that the mall stores are all going away, stand-alone stores are being looked at one by one.

    Good option.
    One problem remains - and it is not specific to Radio Shack - but where do I go for the "I'm looking to do some thing like this, and what do I need?" kind of knowledge base. Sigh.     Not like when I was a boy. Of course, back then , we only had rocks. Hard rocks or soft rocks, that was the choice.
    "Ah but we were happy then ..."

tschus pyotr -- pyotr filipivich We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy, back when snakes wore shoes and dirt was $2 a pound, if you could find it. We had to make our own from rocks!
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:29:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich

The one here in GP is in a mini-strip-mall.

That's easy, Pete. You come here. USENET ROCKS!
It's only in the small town hardware stores that you'll find a knowledge level that is higher than the masses, and those are going by the wayside quickly.

<cough, cough>
-- Sir Winston Churchill
09:13:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    But I have one in my small town. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 22:26:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich

This is A Good Thing(tm)!
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Larry Jaques wrote:

They are closing about half of the stores by the end of this month. Some will stay open to clear inventory and become Sprint stores.
http://www.businessinsider.com/radioshack-store-closure-list-2015-2
Around me there will end up being one store within about 20 miles away. Used to be about 7 stores within a 50 mile radius.
Thing that stinks is that now it will be only online for electronic components. There are no other stores that sell that kind of stuff around here.
--
Steve W.

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 22:47:30 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

It's been over 30 years since I could waltz into a Radio Shack store and buy all the bits I needed for a project -- and even then, it cost over twice the price for getting stuff mail order.
Lately all of their "DIY" stuff has been mostly crap.
So other than the educational chit, I'm not feeling very deprived.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

I still haven't gotten over the loss of Radio Row in NYC in the 1960s, which they tore down to build the World Trade Center. There were dozens of surplus and new electronics shops there, employing thousands of people. I bought ARC-5 transmitters there for $5 - $10 each. <sigh>
Canal Street is just a ghost of the old Radio Row.
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:01:45 -0500, Tim Wescott

I've seen LOPTS of cases where only a section, or several sections , less than an inch in length are corroded. I have many times replaced only the section of line with corroded spots, saving a LOT of work. Very common, for instance, on 3rd gen Tercels, which have a plastic cover clipped over the lines and salt accumulates around the brake line clips, rotting them through right at the clip.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep, very common for only small areas to rot. GMs like to rot where they tuck the lines in next to the frame because the salt and dirt build up and hold moisture.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:40:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Buy several shorter pre-made lengths and double flare unions to join them. Work from both ends to the middle, and then you only need to cut and reflare, at most, one end of one piece.
If it only rusted under one clip, you may get lucky and be able to cut the line in a solid location, install a flare nut and flare the end of the existing tube , then connect a replacement line from there to the end.