Flare fittings

I need a flare fitting for 45 degree standard flare to go from 1/4 to

3/16. A straight union. Know of anywhere I can get this? mcmaster struck out and so did fittingandadaptors.com. google came up blank. seems I might need to machine one, where do I find the dimension? are they in the Machinists handbook?

I know the threads are 3/8-24 and 7/16-20 but I would need to know shoulder lenghts from threrad to 45 degree seal surface.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Suggest call your local hydraulic shop--ours is a Parker distributer and has several hundred SF of shelves that are stocked with the various fittings.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

My local Parker store says no go.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

I'd imagine some place like Parker should have reference information online.

Reply to
Pete C.

I presume you can't replace the entire line end to end with a single size and change out one of the end fittings?

Reply to
Pete C.

JIC 37 degree is available -- maybe you can modify the sealing face to

45 degrees.
For the ake of googling more suppliers, the 45d union is SAE 010101 series (Aeroquip 2060-); 37d union is SAE 070101(Aeroquip 2027-).
Reply to
Ned Simmons

That should be

I would take a 1/4 end from one fitting and a 3/16 from another, machine mating surfaces on both & solder together. Rather than fuss with cutting angles and threads.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Make your own adapter from two NPT to flare adapters and a coupler? Have done odder things with flare fittings. Used to have an old-timey hardware store that I could engineer on the fly that way. All the brass stuff in one aisle and loose, so you could check threads and fits.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Swage out the 1/4 line and press the 3/16 into it. Sweat them together and you're done.

Or visit an auto parts store and look at the brake line fittings. Grab an Edelmann 146320 (Everco 46B, Weatherhead 46X3) Also an Edelmann 148420 (Everco 48B, Weatherhead 48X3) Make sure you get the nuts as well.

Those are a 3/16" to 1/8" pipe female and a 1/4" to 1/8" pipe male. Just screw them together and you have your fitting.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for all replies. It not for me. it's for a friend of mine. It's for brakes on some kind of antique. I'll machine one out of SS hex bar. I'm still learning my CNC lathe so it will be pratice.

He left me a note and some sample fittings. turns out it needs to be

3/16 tube x 37 deg to 7/16-20NF flat gasket to go to a wheel cylinder. It was explained to me incorrectly the first time.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Automotive fittings are not 37 degrees - they are 45 degrees - unless he's using aircraft or industrial lines - which may or may not be acceptable for automotive brake use.

Reply to
clare