Stupid Sears Compressors!

I know, I know, I'd never buy one but this one arrived from a neighbor!

The outlet copper tube is held in place and sealed by a small rubber gasket, looks like an 'O' ring with a molded on flat spot on one side. All of this sets into a grove in the cast aluminum (??) head. Head gets hot, vulcanizes the rubber, rubber gets hard, tube gets spit out of the head. New gasket is $2.16 plus S&H, no delivery date, not available locally.

Proper fix is to drill and tap for a 5/16" compression or flare fitting, not enough thickness to get a realiable thread. Plus I'd still have to seal up the old slot. JB Weld to goop in proper fitting has some merit but that brings up a few questions:

1) Would it hold up to the heat? 2) Would it hold up to the vibrations/pressure? 3) Is there something better than JB Weld for this??

Worst case is I order the gasket, install, and send it back with an "I don't want to see this again"

Reply to
RoyJ

My C-H is the same way and its going strong since about 1990.........

I really think once the name Crapsman or Sears is stuck on any item it literally starts to self destruct...........I will hand Crapsman and Sears one thing..they have a propensity to be able to have an item designed as cheaply as possible and yet resemble another high quality item without any quality being utilized in the entire manufacturing process, and get top dollar for such trash to boot! You know what they say...once a Sears customer, always a Sears customer.............me I am 100% Sears / Craftsman free I purged it all years ago and never looked back.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies! Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold the business to Ken Fischer

she has NOT retired from helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Reply to
Roy

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank. At least something that I could put a pipe thread to. I have Crapsman and lots of it, So far (knock on wood) I have only had two problems and that was with a "best value" item, a disc grinder, I would vibrate so bad you couldn't hold it to do the job. I took it back and without any hesitation I received a new one. You could say that Bob Villia (sp) lives here I have so much Carftsman. I have never broken a hand tool although the ratchets do tend to wear. Maybe I have just been lucky thus far. And oh yeah, I did have a Craftsman compressor, it worked for the week I had it, it was just so loud you couldn't be in the same space with it. I did return that and bought an I R, which I just have serious affection over. That thing (60 gal) is so quiet and so powerful. It too broke after 6 months, the pressure switch went up on it. But I called IR on a Tues. around

3 pm and can you believe they had the new part at my door the next morning sometime before 9 am!!! Now thats customer satisfaction!.

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher 1

One word.

"teflon tape"

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Surely you could carve one out of something on the plumbing aisle at Home Depot, or an auto parts store.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yes and?

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Automotive high temp silicon.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

that's two words!

Reply to
ATP*

You caught me....

Still, I had that happen, and I wrapped a ton of that teflon tape all around under the nut and just tightened her down real good--got me by in a pinch....and as it turned out, the fix lasted indefinately.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item is nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Probably pretty good since welding aluminum isn't really that hard. If you have a gas torch you have the tools.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
RoyJ

Isnt everybody? This IS RCM after all

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Why fix it. Just cast a new one :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That is a *great* idea! Sorry for the late reply, I was mining bauxite in the back yard.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston