Naptha?

'Varnish Makers and Painter's' naptha is the only way I've found for removing baked-on grease from metal surfaces:

It's disappeared from the shelves at all the hardware stores in my area. Some now carry a 'substitute' product in gallon cans, but I don't want to spend over 20 bucks and then have to drive it to Hazmat Disposal if it works as well as do most 'substitutes'.

What's a practical alternative? Gasoline?

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Lighter fluid is (or at least used to be) mainly naptha. Gasoline has longer chain molecules than naptha, but you could try it.

Reply to
anorton

Yeah, that stuff is gone from store shelves as well.

OK, Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Camp stove / lantern fuel might be a viable substitute that would be better than highway gasoline.

Reply to
Pete C.

Coleman fuel AKA white gas

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I've never had a problem removing such grease with "purple" industrial degreaser.

Reply to
Pete C.

Try a tobacco / cigar shop. Zippo lighters are still around and people still use fuel in them. I know I've seen lighter fluid at both gas station convenience stores and at the front service / cig desk at regular grocery stores.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hydroxide based spray oven cleaners work quite well on stainless.

And yet another source for small quantities of naptha is ronson lighter fluid.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Is there a Rockler's near you?

Don Foreman

If it's not aluminum, _real_ oven cleaner (e.g., E-Z Off (sp?)) works great. It's lye, so that's why it's not to be used on aluminum. Likewise, when used on a cook top, over spray needs to be wiped up immediately (it removes paint, too).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

(...)

Forgive my faux pas.

I didn't mention that I wasn't able to locate this stuff under any of it's synonyms, either. White Spirit Coleman Fuel White Gas (I remember when that was available at the *gas station*. Etc etc.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I agree. It's unobtainium here in SF Bay Area. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Normal grease is easy. A little alcohol or paint thinner and it comes right up. A few applications of commodity spray cleaner gets it, too.

Grease that been baked on is pretty much immune to alcohol or paint thinner or any of the degreasing cleaners I've tried. Anything short of naptha or a wire brush gets laughed off. I figure it's a chemical thing.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I will give that a whirl, but I am pessimistic.

Like you, I used to see cans and cans of this stuff in it's various names available practically everywhere. I should have bought several gallons! Fiddle.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Time to move to the free world...

Reply to
Pete C.

(...)

Hmmm. That is a thought. Thanks!

Yup. I see that 'naptha' as such and 'as re-labeled' is still available in other parts of the country. I don't want to pay shipping, hazmat fee, special transport permit....etc. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I've used the purple degreaser to remove years of grease buildup from a Hobart mixer, and buildup on baking sheets and waffle irons. The purple stuff is lye based and will dissolve bodies if the need arises.

Reply to
Pete C.

I bought some just a few years ago at Home Depot. I'd also try a big paint store. Have you looked for Coleman Fuel at a chain sporting goods store? Target has it here.

However, as a solvent, it's pretty close to gasoline.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

Holy Crap! 58 dollarettes a gallon!

Ahem. Sorry Don.

I see the nearest Rockler's is a 110 mile round trip. I am playing in the wrong corner again.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

They have *weather* in the free world. (Shudder).

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston