Naptha?

The purple degreaser doesn't eat AL all that fast, an hour soak will discolor it, but it will still be there.

Reply to
Pete C.

In a couple minutes of Googling, I didn't see citation of any law regarding VOCs in my area. Wierd.

I really like how the air has 'cleaned up' since the '70s, when it got so bad at times that my eyes would swell shut.

Now we get only occasional stenches from the release of I.C. processing gasses. It's much better, overall.

I guess I shouldn't moan too loudly.

Oh Well!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Right there is your basic problem. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

But they have Earth Quakes in SF. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Holy Shit, Batman! $41 a QUART?

$48 a gallon from Coleman.

-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just protect yourself well. When you're stripping a big area, it's hard to keep that soup off of you, and it burns. Also, try any synthetic paint brushes you use with it before getting into a big project -- or maybe you can find an expert who will tell you what kinds not to use. I wound up with a handle and no bristles once. d8-)

When I'm buying quantities of sodium hydroxide, I buy from

They've always given me good service.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He was damned lucky. 3 in a week in LV:

-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My couple minutes gave me this:

this:
My smog license expired in '83, so I've forgotten most of what I knew. Also, CA is a different entity today than it was back then.

I was amazed at how little brown haze remained over HelL.A. when I worked there a decade ago with a buddy. We'd drive up over the hill into Orange County and see only a bit of brown. When my parents and I flew out to Glendale in the 60s, it was DARK brown.

I'll bet over half of that would have been gone anyway, without CA extra strict regs, just from replacing older, worn-out cars.

-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heh!

That site shows *me* exactly zero citations for the actual fuel itself. Plenty lanterns and stoves but no fuel. Interesting, no?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yessir.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OUCH!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Coleman fuel smells the same to me.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Prompted by this, I tried 'Zep green':

It works nearly as well as naptha!

I'm still going to check out the others but this is a very cool discovery.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Someone recommended spray on oven cleaner and I tried it recently. It worked faster than the purple cleaner. Spray it on and start wiping.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

'Varnish Makers and Painter's' naptha is the only way I've found for removing baked-on grease from metal surfaces:

It's disappeared from the shelves at all the hardware stores in my area. Some now carry a 'substitute' product in gallon cans, but I don't want to spend over 20 bucks and then have to drive it to Hazmat Disposal if it works as well as do most 'substitutes'.

What's a practical alternative? Gasoline?

Thanks!

--Winston

*********************************** Use wire brushes! Cheaper, reusable and better for the environment.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Try REI, they sell white gas for backpacking stoves.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I use oven cleaner to remove baked on grease.

Come to think about it, this is what oven cleaner is supposed to do: removing baked on grease.

Just do not breathe that stuff.

Ignoramus31161

1999-2008 showed nothing pertinent for search terms 'volatile' or 'organic' or 'solvent'.

Nothing really stuck out. There is a citation about one of naptha's disguises: Stoddard Solvent. They indicate that it is an irritant, but no prohibition regarding same.

Naptha has a listing here:

no mention of an issue with the stuff.

Mentions elsewhere on the site, but still no citations of law.

Curious.

(...)

Yup. My most pronounced memory of my first drive into LA was that dark brown smog. This'd be like 1975 or so. Sick.

I remember a dark brown blanket covering Santa Clara Valley back in the 70's, too. Twas depressing.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Today again, we had no weather. That made chores very easy indeed.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

About five years ago, I was in the front yard doing an oil change and felt a little temblor underfoot.

My new neighbor and family shot out of their house and stood in the front yard, obviously shaken :).

I looked over and said "That's the reason that long term California residents will all be victims of the next Big Quake: We never have the sense to get out of the house."

Luckily they smiled.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston