Flies in the shop!!

--We seem to be in the middle of a fly epidemic. Anyone got something more effective than flypaper? We put up 4 of them every other day, when there's no more real estate on the old ones...

Reply to
steamer

Usually, the best way to get rid of pests is to avoid feeding them.

Reply to
John Doe

These are different. It's almost biblical.

The good news is that altho they are indeed big bastards, they seem to die quick. Spray Kroil makes'em die quicker. No foolin. Drops'em out of the air almost immediately. Not sure what it does to us, tho.

I installed a HD zapper, which conked out in no time, however. Don't know how much it was helping.

In my case, the flies would congregate outside the garage door under an overhang, and bum-rush in when the door was lifted. goodgawd....

Reply to
DrollTroll

I shouldn't have to point out that an opportunity for some fun and shooting practice is being missed here. Flies were my main target when, as a kid, I made my first powerful rubber-band gun.

It's slow, but it's very satisfying. I had an aquarium full of indiginous fish (sunfish, dace, etc.) at the time and they appreciated the proceeds of my fine work.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Shop Toad? Or a few? Make a nice little terrarium in the corner...

Bats work too, but only for overnight use - a toad, you can carry him over to the swarm and tell him to "Sic 'Em!"

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Commercial fly traps

Here is a doityourself

Gunner

Shop Vac!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On 03 Oct 2008 15:59:18 GMT, the infamous steamer scrawled the following:

Maybe you have cluster flies, Ed.

These are said to work great:

Cha-CHING on the price, though.

-- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. -- Rodin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And, these powdertrap peeple. advocate killing ladybugs, as well. Claim they bite. What bullshit. Don't give these muthafuckas a dime.

Reply to
DrollTroll

I'll second Winston's method. Wait till evening as it is getting dark, when they start to calm down. Go around the windows and such where they congregate with a shop vac.

Those sure sound like cluster flies...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that steamer wrote on 03 Oct 2008 15:59:18 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Frogs?

I toyed with the idea of a laser "bug zapper" some years ago, but decided the targeting issues were killer. The easy part would be the "no shoot" zones, but tracking the little buggers.... Of course, if you can zap them "instantly" rather than have to hold the beam "on target" that simplifies it.

the other options, more realistically, are screening to keep them out, and cleaning up. Friend recently found the source of the flies at his father's place: rotting garbage under the trash sack. A regular "maggot colony".

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Was at the local cowboy super store the other day. Saw a clear plastic jug about as big as a gallon. Had a funnel going upward from the base. Had some bait you mixed, then hung the bottle up. Dispose of the whole thing when full. Trouble is, I smelled one of those once, and the smell was worse than the flies. I did see others that were "odorless." About $5.

Don't look that hard to make.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Obviously you haven't run in to the non-native ladybugs that have been introduced in the last few years - more of an orange than red and vicious biters, also prolific breeders. They have pretty well replaced our old, benign variety. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Africanized ladybugs??? goodgawd....

Reply to
DrollTroll

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:36:30 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller scrawled the following:

I was amazed when one bit me (and it HURT!) here in Oregon about 4 years ago. It really stunned me. I never realized that some were harmful.

-- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. -- Rodin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You should send some to Ed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Apparently the "Asian lady beetle" is still considered to be beneficial by some in agriculture even if the rest of us see them as a pest. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hum -

We have black with red 'love-bugs' - that often fly connected.

A car or truck on the highway during a month - gets covered.

They are attracted to gasoline fumes! - They flock to highways.

We were covered for a few days when chipping limbs that came down in the hurricane - but I set out a WHITE bucket - all colors projected in white - and a half pint of gas. I used old trimmer gas that might be watered.

A thick layer of them are formed within the bucket. They keep coming all day. All it takes is a small scrap fire and all the bugs/eggs are burnt up.

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

Around here..they PAY for ladybugs. They come in big tubes and are released in grape vinyards etc etc

The ladybug is the most preditory bug in the insect kingdom..a real great white type.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

See my post to the Do It Yourself flytrap