Flies in the shop!!

--Sadly they don't cluster; they're just all over the place: kitchen, living room, office, etc. No obvious lures, they're just everywhere! Neighbors have cows and there are a few llamas a quarter mile down the road and there's a big-ass plant nursery across the way. Lotsa good lures for flies maybe but this population explosion has only been going on for a week or so.. Am thinking of building something, maybe a shop fan, add an ultraviolet fluorescent and some sort of trap on the back; maybe a bucket of water with a litte liquid detergent to destroy surface tension. There used to be traps like this on the market but the last time I looked prices had skyrocketed.

Reply to
steamer

--Curiously there's an absence of frog at the moment. Usually you can hear them in the meadows croaking madly after a sprinkle but not this time.. Maybe something offed the froggies? Something's outta whack and that's a fact..

Reply to
steamer

--Sorta like a lobster trap for flies? Interesting idea!

Reply to
steamer

I wonder if this would work?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

There is a plague of fruit flys in my area. I am using a heavy duty bug zapper, a paddle type zapper, and a simple trap. the trap is simple a container of gator aid, with a shot of dish detergent in it. the trap has killed about a thousand flys so far. about the same as the big zapper.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

We shot them with rubber suction cup dart guns. When we weren't shooting at each other.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Try this place:

Not many (live) bugs in that nursery.

Fred

Reply to
ff

--Been there, done that; actually they're only a few miles from here. FWIW the pitcher plants are hardy and live for several years, but the 'Venus fly traps' don't do very well if the temperature drops. Yeah, gotta go get some more of the pitcher plants...

Reply to
steamer

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Rodin

I didn't realize they were harmful till I rode into one and it sprayed me in the eye. Burned really badly and actually burned the skin on that side of my eye like an acid burn. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Instead of the hanging flypaper, I use the 2 X 3" glue boards designed primarily to catch mice. They come 2 to a pack where we live. Since they are little flat trays, you can put them on window sills, on the floors, etc. I swear that any bug in the room will eventually end up on these things. We have a lot of Japanese beetles in the fall(look very simialr to lady bugs) since the DNR sent them to do battle with aphids on soy beans or something. These traps get 'em super well. They even pile two or three deep for the opportunity! Of course, as someone else said, I do vacuum them up when they congregate in corners. Another great use for these traps is to keep crickets out of the shop/house. By keeping these traps in a few strategic locations all year long, you can tell what kind of pests are around at any given time. And, of course, they do catch mice and voles nicely.

Out in the country in western Wisconsin, Pete Stanaitis

------------------------

steamer wrote:

Reply to
spaco

--I can tell you don't have a cat or two! Good idea tho; mabe on top of the fridge, etc..

Reply to
steamer

HF has a bunch of fly/yellowjacket killing stuff.

Reply to
DrollTroll

I was recently in Thailand and saw a great way of dealing with flies. They have things that look like tennis racquets, but have a high voltage power supply to alternate strings on the racquet . When there were flies on the bus, the bus boy would whack at them with this contraption. There would be a sharp snap, and the fly would drift away in a puff of smoke. I was going to buy one, but I was advised that they wouldn't let me bring it back into Australia. Guess I'll have to make one.

Reply to
Grumpy

HF has one. cheep.

Reply to