flowmeter plumbing - will this work?

I get tired of asking these "will this work" questions but where I live I'd have
to drive 40 miles to ask this question of a knowledgeable local source. Anyway,
I have a surplus regulator which I've used for some time on a CO2 tank (plumbed
in via an adapter) but which has a connector which threads correctly to e.g. an
argon tank. It is a pressure regulator, though, not a flowmeter, and I want to
use this in GMAW. So I got an Airco flowmeter, removed it's weird POL-like
connector, bushed down the 1/4NPT to 1/8NPTF and put a 2½" 1/8" nipple, and just
threaded that into the flowmeter:

I have never seen a flowmeter cobbled onto the end of a regulator like this. I'm
almost 100% ignorant in this area. Will this work correctly for me? There are
two knobs, one sets the pressure on the regulator, the other on the flowmeter
must be a needle valve, right? So I'd set the regulator to 30 psi on the gauge
and then adjust the knob on the flowmeter to get my desired cubic feet per hour
of argon?
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Why it looks just like my scabbed together TIG flowmeter, except I have a tee between the regulator and flowmeter with a valve and hose barb on the branch that I use for clean compressed air instead of air-in-a-can. It'll work just fine.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
You're flow meter is after the regulator, right? I think that should work.
Be careful what you put in line before the regulator. Standard fittings aren't designed for 2200 psi.
Reply to
Dave Lyon
The only problem is knowing what pressure to set the regulator. You need to know what pressure the flow meter is calibrated for.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX
Wayne Cook
What pressure is your flowmeter calibrated for? The flowmeter is operating at the output pressure of your regulator because the needle valve is on the outlet of the meter and if this is high your actual gas consumption will be higher than the flowmeter would seem to indicate. It's sort of like having to know your voltage as well as amps to calculate wattage. Possibly the flowmeter manufacturer could furnish this info. Engineman
Grant Erw> I get tired of asking these "will this work" questions but where I live I= 'd have
Reply to
engineman1
It's an Airco flowmeter, it's printed right on the scale, calibrated at 30 psig. I should have written that earlier, my bad.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
STOP!!! For GOD'S sake, don't put it under pressure...it will rent a hole in the fabric of the Universe and obliterate EVERYTHING!!! You must destroy this vile device at once!!!
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Maybe I should send it off to someone in Ohio?
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
That's how mine is set up.