Follow rest

Well the little follow rest project to turn some long but thin 4140 shafts worked out really well. Both the 17mm and the 20mm shafts came out within 0.005mm or 0.0002" over the full 24" length. I was very pleased. I made the follow rest from 3/4" plate which bolts to tapped holes in the top of a standard Aloris wedge type tool holder. It extends from the tool holder, over the top and back of the workpiece, supporting two sealed ball bearings on slides milled into the plate. The outer races of the bearings run directly against the workpiece, just aft of the cutting insert. This was the second iteration of the follower, in the first iteration the slides simply rubbed against the shaft. Unfortunatly, this setup would only work okay for a few minutes, as the coolant did not prevent the rubbing ends of the slides from wearing. Once any wear set in chatter would start.

Reply to
oldjag

PICTURES PLEASE !!!!!

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Should have time to post photo in a day or two.

Reply to
oldjag