Ford E350 Extended Van

Make sure you change the brake fluid! I bought an '85 Dodge van w/55k miles that had been sitting for a while... I forgot to change the brake fluid. After I had been driving it for two months or so I decided to take it on a shakedown run out to the mountains behind Hemmit. Right on top of the mountains I learned my mistake... change the brake fluid. At least I found out while I was going up, not going down!

I think if I were you I'd keep it, just in case your truck failed. Unless you have some other transportation that's reliable. Even if it's a little more to fix up than you want, it might be worth it just in case... All the parts should be available and cheap, and insurance isn't going to be a whole lot. If you need to you can sleep in it. If you get a job out of town it might save you a few bucks on lodging.

Reply to
jpolaski

Thats on the top of my list of things to do if I get it.

Indeed. All excellent ideas.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I have a long bed crew cab, and that problem got solved by putting convex mirrors on both sides. Small one on the left and a bigger one on the right. That's about the only one I look at now; I mostly ignore the full size mirror it's stuck to. My wife wasn't big on using mirrors before, but now she is. And with those, I can easily back that truck up into a compact parking spot, since the compacts take all the full sized spots!

Reply to
Carl McIver

Your're welcome. I forgot, I think you have to install Picasa on your computer. Hope thats not a problem. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Already done. Thank you Sir.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Keep in mind that this thing will need to be smogged. While legally the seller is required to pay for any smog work, I suspect you'll be asked to do it as part of the "very cheap price". It may not be an issue with this truck, but finding smog bits for vehicles of this vintage can be a PITA. Make sure all the hoses, sensors, valves, and emissions doo-dads are present and accounted for. It's certainly possible it'll need a new cat (which can make up for a multitude of sins) if the rest of the system or the engine itself isn't up to snuff.

Good luck. I've had deals like this turn out to be wonderful, and other which... didn't...

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Smogging this beasty shouldn't be a problem. It'll be a bit of a pain to get under it and cut the old cat out, but it won't be a problem for Gunner to weld a new one in. BTW, Gunner, if you get an after-market cat that needs a little rubber hose to blow fresh air in, you can get a "universal" hose for it from Napa. It's a special order part, so it might take a few days. When I put in a new cat it was a problem for me to find one. I'm sure others will know far better, but I've heard that most places don't even bother to install the hose because the cat will pass smog without it.

Reply to
jpolaski

I was thinking more of not being able to pass a visual inspection because the van lacked some emissions doo-dad. This may or may not be a problem depending on the tech. I didn't figure that Gunner would have a problem welding in a new cat....

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

He should have enough of them wandering around. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Guys....the van was simply parked. It wasnt stripped, puttered with, or dismembered. The only thing they did was cut the hoses off the leaking heater core and route the input line to the return line.

As I understand it..they parked it because they changed product lines and the sales guy who drove it went elsewhere. They had no need of it. With the subfloor and oak stuff in it..they didnt want to run parts in it..they had thoughts of using it as a demo vehicle for a new product line that never developed..and it simply...languished.

(Crom...thats the FIRST time Ive ever used "languished" in a written text before...virgin no more..!! )

Gunnewr

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Hummm...Should I use a Beef Stick or a Slim Jim as filler material?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Having been bitten by the hunting-down-obscure-smog-stuff bug a couple of times, I figured I'd at least mention it. It sounds like you're good to go.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

Use crab sticks for vertical work.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Torch up or torch down?

Gunner, who is typing with a kitten in his lap, which just died in his hands. Mauled and badly broken by a stray dog, which died much quicker than did the kitten. One if his favorites, 6 toes on each front paw. Rescued with another, from the trunk of an abandoned car in a vacant lot.

Gunner

I'm sorry; that sucks. It is no fun loosing pets.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

My favorite was a five week old kitten picked up in the middle of the road during a heavy downpour - apparently dropped off when the departing cottagers had no further need for mouse control + offspring over the winter season. A partly obstructed tank type vacuum cleaner worked as a hair dryer plus a baseboard heater got him to stop shivering, and six hours latter he decided he might survive. His favorite pastime was to stretch up my chest and nuzzle my bearded chin. When I went beardless for three months, he refuse to associate with me. He did not tolerate car rides well, and after several moves, he developed some bad habits and had to depart. Junior, having his own household now has aquired an exact miniature of this friend, even to the name. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller