Fortress mailboxes

wrote:

All I can say is, thank goodness he isn't a gynecologist!
- Michael

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gunner
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:39:11 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

I don't see how this would be a bad mailbox pedestal, can you?
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~mjvdh/fotos/MN2R1896%20trio%20crossed%20legs.jpg
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:34:20 -0700, Larry Jaques

Gives new meaning to "mail slot", dont it?
Gunner

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:23:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

I wonder if they come in scented versions... <wink>
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------

You don't have children, do you?
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:20:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

Yeah, that one was great. There's a large fishing lure up on A Street here in Grass Pants, OR. which cracks me up every time I drive by it. It takes a really avid fisherman to make a mailbox like that. It appears to be made of fiberglass and is painted exactly like a good lure. 'Tis very well done, but the treble hooks have balls on the ends, no good for catching mailbox baseballers or errant kids at all.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Ignoramus5275 wrote:

In England it isn't really an issue because our postmen bring the mail to the door. Only a few people have boxes on posts. But if I had a mailbox which was being regularly vandalised I'd be very tempted to build a "fortress" box. But I probably wouldn't disguise it. I'd just concrete an I-beam in the ground like that picture of Jeff's shows.
Chris
Some years ago this came up and one of us had a mail box mounted on a swing arm that detentes at the road. The platform is held by a pipe - drill rod I think - that was maybe 20 feet long until it turns downward into a heavy anchor.
The issue he had was snow plows - he would have to pay - school buses - he would pay - so just make one that would swing out of the way - way out of the way. Then it was easy to re-set and forget. It just takes a little yard. Move to mow...
Ignoramus5275 wrote:

-

And then there was one famous poster here who made the one out of RR track and well casing, with a look-a-like mailbox welded up out of heavy steel plate.
I seem to recall the town road grader hit it while plowing snow.
The mailbox busted all the shear bolts off the grader blade.
The town was *not* happy. The poor guy had to pay to repair the grader, and take out the mailbox.
But I bet the driver never did that again!
Jim
please reply to:
I think that it is funny that a mailbox busted a road grader... Surely the driver id not expect that to happen...

Why would the mailbox owner have to pay to repair the grader? If anything, the town should be paying the owner for scratching his mailbox (with the appropriate deductions for the grader repair and the homeown compensation taken from the grader driver's salary).

Good question.
Somebody help me out here, and remind me who did in the road grader. Maybe then we could ask him how they strong-armed him into paying for its repair.
But it happened.
Jim
please reply to:
DeepDiver says...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
As long as the mailbox owner had the mailbox within the confines of his private property (and not protruding out into the public road), then I fail to see how it's his responsibility for damaging the road grader.
DeepDiver wrote:

FWIW, here in Winchester Taxachusetts, my front lawn runs right up to where the asphalt street pavement starts, with no sidewalk or curbing. But, the town has an easement on the last 5 or 6 feet of lawn, sometimes referred to aS a "grass sidewalk" and there's an ordinance (Honored more in the breach that the observance.) against planting or placing anything there which would force a pedestrian have to step off onto the road.
My mailbox sits on that easement, and if it was placed back of it the mail carrier couldn't/wouldn't deliver to it.
Quite a few folks in the neighborhood here with frontages which are slightly convex because the road curves put whitewashed basketball sized rocks every 6 feet or so along edge of their lawns to keep cars from "cutting the curve" and tearing up their grass. The lawyer friends I've asked about that all say, "Don't do it."
I'm just glad the town doesn't tell me I have to clear the snow off that "grass sidewalk". :-)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Not being ironic at all. Somebody else posted it was probably Mike Graham who had this series of events happen. IIRC he did pay for the repair of the grader (he might have even done it himself) and I cannot explain the legal details to you because I never did know exactly how they convinced him to pay for it.
Jim
please reply to:
jim rozen wrote:

I think that that was Mike G., but I don't think he's posted here in a couple of years.
Regarding mailboxes, here's a couple of interesting links:
http://www.minncor.com/transportationproducts/transportationmailbox.htm http://www.steelmailbox.com/html/plowmaster.htm
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Thank you, that sounds right. It was either that or peter drummond. I don't think either of them have been around here lately - for whatever reason....
Jim
please reply to:
Jim,
You may be thinking of Peter Drumm. I don't recall a Peter Drummond. Peter Drumm died the same month as teenut (Jan/2001).
Regards,
Terry
Tom Quackenbush says...

Yes, that's right. But he had a Drummond round-bed lathe, that's what I remembered. He was the gent who worked in the granite quarry, right?
Jim
please reply to: