Found a toy i wish I could afford

So what do you think about his breakdown of prices for the lathe, drill press and generator?

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Oh, man. Now that would be one nice toy!

Reply to
woodworker88

I would like to move to live into that thing... that would be my "shop RV". :)

Ignoramus25850

What sort of a crazy shop doesn't also have a milling machine and a bandsaw?

Reply to
Dave

Koz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com:

The prices could be in the ball park. We (TINW) supplied a number of Harrison lathes for a similar set up. I was only involved in setting up the tests that the govt. inspectors require you to carry out before they will accept delivery. It was also better than 15 years ago so my memory may be off a bit.

IIRC, the lathes were pretty well loaded. They either had trav-a-dials or DRO's, I cant remember which. Three and four jaw chucks, face plates centers, drill chucks, driving dogs, Aloris type tool post, holders, etc.. Basically prepared for any contingency.

An interesting thing, the military buys all sorts of equipment, much of which simply goes into storage. My understanding is that all of the stored equipment is assigned some sort of "shelf life", when the time is up they get rid of it, often untouched for 20,30,40 years. I was at a shop that bought a 6" Cone-a-Matic. That is a six inch bar capacity 6 spindle screw machine. The machine was 40 years old and had never been run in production. I can't even imagine what a machine like that would cost to have built today. I think they paid 55 grand at auction. Prolly laughed all the way home. The cams and tooling were removed, so it's hard to say what it was originally set up to produce. Some sort of ordnance no doubt.

Reply to
D Murphy