garden gate pictures?

Help, I forgot a girl's birthday! You know what that means... she has to get one damn fine present, one that involves lots of personal work and attention. Yup, it's going to cost me.

Anyway, I remember someone posted some pictures of two "sun and moon" garden gates a while back and I'm thinking that, hey, this just might be the ticket back to respectability. I'm thinking of building her an artsy, one of a kind, metal patio gate. Actually, I'm thinking I could get her, being the artist type, to draw up something that I could "practicalize" and then go and build.

Now, I'd really like to be able to show her some pictures of what I'm talking about but I can't find them. The post of those beautiful gates that got me to thinking about this was a while ago, longer than my news server's history anyway, and I can't seem to hit on the right keywords for a google search.

So, anyone willing to offer up some example work that I can print out to show her? Anyone know the link to the pictures of those sun and moon gates? Anyone have a better idea for getting me out of the doghouse?

Any help appreciated,

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

Andy Asberry

My gates

don't have a sun and moon as the OP requested. So I didn't think he meant mine.

Lane

Reply to
lane

These may not even be close to what you're looking for, but FWIW....

This last one (click the right uppermost pagoda) has the classical view through the moon window:

|true|null|eng# I have a poor jpg of a gate similar to one we have, actual swing-open type with lower cedar panel and upper moon window at eye level, but it's not linkable to at the moment... I'll mail it. Wood, but could of course be done in metal...

Good luck,

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

"practicalize"

Actually, they're the ones I was thinking of :)

so, okay, I got the moon mixed up in my memory banks somehow... but hey, when I saw them the first time, it was just a "wow, those look neat" reaction. Not having any garden to speak of, I didn't think I would ever be building ornamental gates. But, it must have made an impression on me because it somehow connected with the "need for special present" thought :)

Don't worry, I have no intention of copying them... like I could! They're much more intricate than I had remembered. I just want some photos to illustrate what I had in mind. Of course, I'll have to say: "in steel, not copper, and none of those fancy Y joints, and less pieces..." After all, it's just a birthday ;)

Thank you for the response,

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

|true|null|eng#>

thanks for the links, and the emailed picture of your gate: it looks great. I now realise what my searching problem was. I specified "moon" gate and it seems this has a very specific meaning, one that I had not intended. I have printed off the picture of your moon gate so I can show it as an example. However, with the area it would go in, I don't think anything overly tall would visually work.

What I'm looking for are examples of smaller ornamental garden gates, like the sunrise and sunset gates (not sun and moon as I originally posted ;) that I had seen in an earlier post. Andy provided the link to Lane's creations -- thanks to him for that.

Also, to be more specific, I wasn't thinking in terms of traditional wrought-iron gates either. Something modern, with a light look, and maybe a little fun. I'm sure once I show her some examples, she will have many of her own ideas for me to work with. The three pictures I have now should be enough, but more are always welcome.

Thanks again,

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

Post some pics when you get them done! Good luck. Lane

Reply to
lane

Dave, you seem like a bright fellow. Your heart is in the right place and your intentions are commendable. But...you're falling for the first trick mothers teach their daughters about training husbands. I'm not sure why it's the last one husbands learn.

It starts with a passing remark. (As in: you're driving and she says,"Did you see that?") Of course you didn't because you've already passed it, but you turn around. She never really asked for one. She just goes on and on about how cute it is or how expensive it looks or how it would go sooo well with your house. Then you hook yourself. "Shucks, I could make one of them thangs".

Even as you say it, you're thinking that "thang" is about the limits of your abilities or capabilities. And she is thinking if he says he can make that, he can make one much better than that. Now your Saturday morning project is her mission that will consume your life for months.

I'm telling you, you'll be better off getting an old wooden headboard; back off a ways and shoot it with a shotgun for the worm hole effect; a few licks with a log chain; some rusty barn hinges and a couple of loops of barb wire for a latch.

Uh, did I tell you I was building a copper trellis?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

headboard...

Yup, I know. My friend, and personal hero, is like that. He has a whole shop just jam-packed with tools, all in the neatest shop-built drawers, shelving, cabinets.... But the guy just couldn't do a thing with his shop: couldn't build kitchen cabinets, couldn't make bookcases or bird houses, couldn't lay a tile floor if his life depended on it. But damn his boat sure looks good, with all that inlay and custom lathed brass fixtures ;) Now that's one smart fellow. Of course, he's divorced now...

There are times when a man's got to do what a man's got to do. Missing a birthday: well, them's one of those times.

David...

Reply to
FixerDave