Gear alterations

Just something I am playing around with, I have two gears but they are the wrong ratios, almost exactly opposite ie instead of 1 to 2 I need

2 to 1. As commercial gear cutting is very expensive/difficult for one offs I am wondering about the following idea as the splines on each are entirely different. Is is possible/viable to cut out the centres on a lathe - pretend you used a hole saw to see what I mean, then machine rings to take up the space where the metal was cut away and then swap the centres over between the gears. Biggest problem would be to now lock the three parts of the gear together. Is this a possibility.....

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

It may be. What sort of loadings/RPM are we talking about? For some loads, epoxy will work just fine to stick it back together.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Smokeyone wrote: (clip) Is is possible/viable to cut out the centres on a lathe ^^^^^^^^^^ That sounds like a lot of work. What about swapping the splined shaft ends?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Thank you both for the replies, I had not thought of epoxy, I was thinking of mechanical means but perhaps there are extra strong industrial epoxyies around. I cannot easily swap shafts around because other gears use the same shaft & splines. You are going to say - no way but we are talking around 80hp - 2000 rpm - 160 lbs torque on the driven gear.

Smokeyone

to e-mail me, delete mail from address

Reply to
Smokeyone

Good epoxy bonding cleaned, etched surfaces can achieve 5000psi lap shear strength at room temperature. Since you didn't give dimensions, I can't calculate your chances of success but if you work out the bond area and the force that your torque represents at that radius, you can figure whether epoxy would work.

How about silver solder (brazing)?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I am not a machinist, but I wonder whether you could cut the centers out of the gears by "parting" at an angle, so you have conical mating surfaces when you reassemble. That way, by offsetting each core, you could eliminate the clearance without the need for a spacer. Then you might be able to silver solder or braze.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You'd have to part at a steep angle to avoid excessive offset of the center in the gears when you reassembled them. A shallow taper cone would sink very deep into the matching gear before it locked up. I've never tried to core out a cone with a parting tool. Seems to me that unless the radius is very large, the parting tool would bind as soon as it got deeper than the front relief. Wire EDM might do it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Thank you both for the replies. I will have to double check the exact measurements myself but from a friend the measurements are - one gear

6 ins dia while the other gear is about 4 ins dia - both are about three quarters of an inch thick. Another thought suggested to me is have new centres made - ie cut out the existing ones, have new ones made so that they fit the appropriate gear. Not exactly inexpensive having the new splines cut but I have been told a lot less than having the gears made from scratch.

Smokeyone

To e-mail me, delete mail from address

Reply to
Smokeyone

I might try something like this (if I had to).

Pressed or shrunk sections sandwiched between two bolted circular plates.

Shoulder bolts interference fit, 3 (or more) each, centered on the inner and outer seams of the filler bushing ID and OD lines.

WB ...............

Reply to
Wild Bill

I wouldn't think epoxy would hold at 80 HP, but I may be wrong... I would think that if you inserted a "new" center into the gear, you could drill through the seam (centered) in several places and press in pieces of drill rod to "lock" the inside piece to the outside piece. Parts should fit pretty snug before you start. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Thanks very much for the help everyone. Just out of interest does the drawing connect with an engineering site.....

Thanks again

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

This drawing is from from the feeble grey stuff under my hat, definitely not what would be considered an engineering site. I drew it with MS Paint, and saved it as monochrome, to minimize the bmp file size.

Reply to
Wild Bill