Generator Update

I just flashed the field windings on my generator , it's now working normally . My thanks to all who replied to my original post , with special thanks to Neon John for being the first to suggest flashing the field .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks for sharing. Good thread for those of us with generators that might have future problem.

Reply to
Frank

Indeed. Perhaps Terry would be so kind as to write a paragraph describing how he or she flashed the windings of his or her generator.

Reply to
D-FENS

Why would you suspect "Terry" could be a "she"?

Reply to
XephL? ?????? ? ???? ??? ?qxyjs

It's a name that both genders use, kind of like Pat or Jody.

Reply to
D-FENS

If Terry were a she, a picture of her flashing the generator would be most interesting ;)

Reply to
Frank

Certainly would ... This generator has slip rings to energize the windings in the rotor , uses a coil in the stator to charge the rotor windings . I had the generator partway disassembled to check for a physical reason for no output . What I did was use the 12V battery from my tractor to energize the field windings on the rotor for about 2 seconds then broke the connection quickly . Got a lot bigger spark when I disconnected ... this is exactly the same procedure used to flash the field windings on a generator like was used in cars and trucks way back when we wuz yoots . Oh , and I am most definitely male , and have the dependents to prove it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Frank"

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Reply to
Frank

What is a Yoot?

Reply to
JXhTM? ?????? ? ???? ??? ?lPbZh

I hope you aren't thinking of flashing your dependents to prove you have 'em. Eric

Reply to
etpm

!!

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm laughing.

Reply to
D-FENS

Isn't yoofs (or yufs) the correct nomenclature?

Reply to
D-FENS

Had a car like that when I was a kid. Had to flash the generator everytime I started it. I installed a button in the dash by the key. I finally got tired of it and installed a Delco 1 wire alternator instead. I had a heck of a time making the brackets with a torch and a hammer, but I did it. LOL. Amazingly it didn't eat belts. My dad was convinced it would.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This is a diverse world.. Could even be an it.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

The gender choice that deserves to be respected (instead of hunted by villagers with pitchforks) is "abiogenetic", creating new life by chaining together the amino acids from health food stores. Now where did I misplace my Electrode?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Most girls I know with the name spell it Teri or Terrie - usually short for Theresa

Reply to
clare

Ahem, I think I deserve honorable mention, I mentioned "flashing the field" hours before the interesting and talented Neon John. ;-) At least that's my recall and reading of my newsreader. Don't despair, I've been ignored before. :-)

Mikek aka Chopped liver

I bought a generator for emergency, when I needed it about 3 years later, I assembled and and started it, all was good for about 3-1/2 hrs. It burned up the stator winding and a capacitor leaked. I had to flash mine after rewinding the stator and replacing the bad cap. Now, I bought a Miller Bobcat welder/generator, it will have better resale value than just a generator.

Reply to
amdx

My apologies Mike , I may have missed it in your post , or your post may not have arrived here before John's . There have been times when my own posts have not propagated for hours , sometimes days . Just looked back at the thread , yours and his came in within minutes of each other . And you're right , yours was first .

Reply to
Terry Coombs