Generator Update

I just flashed the field windings on my generator , it's now working normally . My thanks to all who replied to my original post , with special thanks to
Neon John for being the first to suggest flashing the field .
--
Snag
crossposted to both groups that got the original
On 1/19/2016 1:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Good thread for those of us with generators that might have future problem.
On 01/19/2016 12:38 PM, Frank wrote:

Indeed. Perhaps Terry would be so kind as to write a paragraph describing how he or she flashed the windings of his or her generator.
--

www.globalgulag.us

D-FENS wrote on 19/01/2016 14:53:

Why would you suspect "Terry" could be a "she"?
On 01/19/2016 12:59 PM, XephL? ?????? ? ??????? ?qxyjs wrote:

It's a name that both genders use, kind of like Pat or Jody.
--

www.globalgulag.us

On 1/19/2016 3:24 PM, D-FENS wrote:

If Terry were a she, a picture of her flashing the generator would be most interesting ;)
Frank" <"frank wrote:

BWahahahahahaha , now THAT'S funny .
--
Snag

On 1/19/2016 3:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Could not resist the impulse to post.
Glad you thought it was funny.
Also reminds me of my lab partner, female, Terry. She stood in front of a bright window with a shear long skirt and my lab tech and I saw the light.
On 01/19/2016 01:33 PM, Frank wrote:

I'm laughing. <VBG>
--

www.globalgulag.us

On 1/19/2016 1:59 PM, XephL? ?????? ? ??????? ?qxyjs wrote:

This is a diverse world.. Could even be an it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/10/15/france_s_new_third_gender_is_just_as_narrow_as_the_first_two.html
The gender choice that deserves to be respected (instead of hunted by villagers with pitchforks) is "abiogenetic", creating new life by chaining together the amino acids from health food stores. Now where did I misplace my Electrode?
D-FENS wrote:

Certainly would ... This generator has slip rings to energize the windings in the rotor , uses a coil in the stator to charge the rotor windings . I had the generator partway disassembled to check for a physical reason for no output . What I did was use the 12V battery from my tractor to energize the field windings on the rotor for about 2 seconds then broke the connection quickly . Got a lot bigger spark when I disconnected ... this is exactly the same procedure used to flash the field windings on a generator like was used in cars and trucks way back when we wuz yoots . Oh , and I am most definitely male , and have the dependents to prove it .
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote on 19/01/2016 15:39:

What is a Yoot? <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjbf-dHjW0

On 01/19/2016 02:41 PM, JXhTM? ?????? ? ??????? ?lPbZh wrote:

Isn't yoofs (or yufs) the correct nomenclature?
--

www.globalgulag.us

I hope you aren't thinking of flashing your dependents to prove you have 'em. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

!!
--
Snag

Most girls I know with the name spell it Teri or Terrie - usually short for Theresa

Had a car like that when I was a kid. Had to flash the generator everytime I started it. I installed a button in the dash by the key. I finally got tired of it and installed a Delco 1 wire alternator instead. I had a heck of a time making the brackets with a torch and a hammer, but I did it. LOL. Amazingly it didn't eat belts. My dad was convinced it would.
On 1/19/2016 12:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Ahem, I think I deserve honorable mention, I mentioned "flashing the field" hours before the interesting and talented Neon John. ;-) At least that's my recall and reading of my newsreader. Don't despair, I've been ignored before. :-)
Mikek aka Chopped liver
I bought a generator for emergency, when I needed it about 3 years later, I assembled and and started it, all was good for about 3-1/2 hrs. It burned up the stator winding and a capacitor leaked. I had to flash mine after rewinding the stator and replacing the bad cap. Now, I bought a Miller Bobcat welder/generator, it will have better resale value than just a generator.
amdx wrote:

My apologies Mike , I may have missed it in your post , or your post may not have arrived here before John's . There have been times when my own posts have not propagated for hours , sometimes days . Just looked back at the thread , yours and his came in within minutes of each other . And you're right , yours was first .
--
Snag