Getting quotes mid-high end machining?

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18" diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months), which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I like the work we get from Lakeside precision. (Dunkirk, NY) But we do pretty simple stuff... in ~100's quantities. Here's a list of what they have,

I have no idea how busy they are. George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Thanks, I wasn't sure it would be appropriate, but if you say so..

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Try the RFQ section on CNCZONE.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They are a good aerospace shop, I know one of the principals there quite well. They have some VERY good 5-axis machines. They have

2 large Cincinnatti 5-axis mills, and I think their Viper is also 5-axis.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'll ask around in Cleveland.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tolt Machine Works near Seattle might be worth checking out. It is owned by a former Microsoft employee. They have a web site and some really big machines.

I have just read some articles about how he is buying old large machines and converting them to computer controls. So he might have the capability and may not have a lot of customers as it is a new company.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Try asking around on the

forums. There is one forum specific to matching customers and machinists, I think, but also try the CNC forum there. Lots of knowledgeablemachinists there and you should be able to get at least one reference.

Mike

Reply to
michaelhenry