Glide dental floss = PTFE ?

What is this stuff? I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull apart for tying ends together. Try it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It is expanded PTFE just like the material they make their gaskets from. I have always been amazed at W.L. Gore; this company has built a whole range of businesses around creative uses of basically the same stuff:

anorton

If the above did not make any sense, I just saw that W.L. Gore sold the Glide brand to Procter and Gamble in 2003.

Reply to
anorton

What might that knot be, pray tell -- and why would one need a bend for dental floss?

My candidates, if I had a bit of this stuff to play with, would be: hunter's bend blood knot nail knot

Reply to
Don Foreman

My knot is none of your guesses (although I haven't tried yours)

This stuff is so slippery, the only way to stretch it tight is to have a loop of it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Richard, can i hijack your thread? Knot query for slick shit.

Speaking for slippery hard tie stuff - Suffix braided fishing line. I've learned to tie on a hook with an improved clinch followed by several half hitches, then an overhand loop to keep the line from pulling through.

But, I have mono filament backer at the bottom of the roll of suffix. If a fish ever spools me to this backer, I'm FUBAR. I know of no way to tie trylene to Suffix that holds.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

DDsomeconundrum@216.196.97.131...

I think that there is a better reference in US patent 5518012. See the Background section:

Denis G.

Let me reveal what I find works to bend Glide floss: this is based on the fisherman's knot:

BUT before tying this, you must put a figure-eight stop knot in each end:

When drawing tight, the knot ends will start to slip through the fisherman's knot, but then ends then stop and lock when reaching the figure eight stops.

Now this is a bit tricky to manipulate in this slippery and filmy floss, but if you can get it done, it usually works.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch