ID this unusual lock?

I bought this ususual shaped lock at an antique store over 30 years ago and have always wondered whether the design has a known functional purpose or if perhaps it was just a "master piece" made by an apprentice locksmith as part of his "final exam" to become a master locksmith.

(Hmm, I wonder if that activity could be the origin of the word masterpiece? I leave that question to any entomologists here.)

Here 'tis:

When closed, the OD is 3-1/4", ID is 1-1/4", and it's 13/16" thick.

The half with the tongue on it appears to be one solid piece, the one with the keyhole and locking parts inside it has a barely visible joint line halfway up its thickness, it's held together by several rivets.

There's no name or other markings on it.

The only application I can think of for this gadget is that it might have been locked into a groove cut in a shaft, to secure something in place.

Anyone know a serious practical use for this type of lock?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, that's the origin of the word. (Hit a good dictionary for confirmation.)

Unfortunately I can't tell you the origin of this lock. Interesting beast.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

back in the 20's there was a lock made to go around a front tire on a Ford, to prevent the car from being stolen.. it marked the road, and provided a SERIOUS bump for anyone driving it..

how big were the bike tires 80 years ago??

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Maybe, 'cept a bike is easier to pick up and carry away than a Model T (or A) Ford.

Jeff (Who owned half of a Model A back around 1950.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

true.. but.. you STILL got to get the lock off.. it was just a thought..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

It seems to me to be a locksmiths better idea for a padlock for a strongbox or even a heavy chain.

He IMO figured its' design would make it harder to beat off with a hammer being round and the rectanglaur shape would allow for a perfect fit for two heavy chain links.

Just a guess.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

<snipped>

Via a post to another newsgroup, a kind soul at a lock museum in England tipped me off to a US Design Patent (No. D34320), circa 1901 and assigned to the Sargent Lock Company.

The patent drawing shows it to be similar, but not identical, to my lock in that the patent shows the hasp as thinner than the body, wheras my lock has a constant cross section all around. See:

(I had to screw around a bit with browsers and plug ins to see the images though.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia