More on key numbers

In followup to my last post, I'll get more specific about the key numbers.

Canada Post just installed a new rack of mail delivery boxes at our brand new townhouse complex.

There are 15 mail boxes in the rack, and I recorded the number stamped on the back of each key latch before they closed it up.

Each number was in the form: 40xxAF, where xx was a two digit number ranging from 15 to 30.

My key is marked "National Cabinet Lock: Made in USA".

Is there any other information can be gleaned from this?

Thanks!

Reply to
LenM

my GUESS, would be..that this is a 'list'.. this cabinet uses keys numbered from 4015, to 4030.. which does one NO good, cause you cant get to THEIR list, which says key 4015 has a code of 'something', and then they go look up the code and cut..

so, its 2 separate things.. you got the 'box lock' number, which tells you NOTHING without the translation list, which you cannot get. here in the states, they take the box number, and 'send off' for a key.. I got mine about a week after I ordered it..

if the box had been bigger, I would bet that you would have seen (example) 4015 to how ever many numbers would have been in the array..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Not to a non-locksmith.

These code #'s are for making keys from code when customers loose the keys.

If you are NOT the Bldg owner/manager, the retaining of these codes could be considered as illeagal in some municipalities.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437